Women & Libido

Options
ok this is very personal so plz no jokes:

im 28 and on the Depo shot. Few weeks ago I was late on my depo shot and noticed that during those few days i was very much ready and in the mood. Once I got the Depo.... it all went downhill. I am hardly ever in the mood, dont really think about it and I need to do somehting about it. Its gotten to the point where even drinkin doesnt help (and i thought that was impossible).

Does this happen to anyone else? I looked up some "incresase libido" pills at GNC and am thinkin about purchasing it. cant get off this birth control cuz it seems to be the only reliable (forgettful with pills) birth control that i can afford. sigh.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the Depo shot, but my advice would be to talk to your GYN about it rather than buy supplements at GNC that probably won't work anyway.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    no matter what birth control i am on it decreases libido. it does for a lot of women. I have tried the pill, mirena, the patch, and the nuvaring, all the same outcome. So now I am just on the pill, and yeah my libido is lacking. I have considered trying a natural supplement too, but don't want to waste money if they don't work
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Are you talking Depo Prevara, or Depo Testosterone?
    I'm guessing Prevara.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    depo prevara...lol
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I agree with speaking with your OB/GYN about it. There are other forms of birth control other than the pill and shot.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I lost my libido after starting a new birth control method myself. I would be in the mood occasionally but I had lost all my sex drive 99% of the time. I went and talked to my doctor and for myself we realized I had a lot of *kitten* going on in my life with the mental mind fck that is weight loss and put me on a very low dose antidepressant. I was quick to blame my birth control method but I didn't realize all the other stuff going on could kill it.

I don't want to be bashed for this comment so I will say I have had a problem with depression related issues my whole life so it made sense to me on why that was my problem.

Ever since I have returned to a normal human being, gettin it on all the time with the hubs.

Do you have a lot going on? Is there a possibility that it isn't just because of the shot?
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Wifey expereinced the same thing when she went on the Depo. :flowerforyou:
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Every time I was on BC this happened... no matter what kind. It is a definite drawback of the BC.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Every time I was on BC this happened... no matter what kind. It is a definite drawback of the BC.

Agreed. I really thought it was a mental thing but I went on and off several times over the course of 10 years and I swear to you it happened every time. Once I was a month off, it returned like a bang!
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    what about the nuvaring? any other kind of BC and my libido RAAAAN out the window, with this...im the same crazy me as with no BC :D
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem every time I get on BCP's and so does my best friend. Hubby got a vasectomy, so no need for BCP anymore!