Green Tea

Options
I am just wondering if Lipton Green Tea is good for weight loss..and what is the real pupose of the green tea anyway? I like the green tea but I am just curious of what the benifits are from drinking it..Thanks for any info.. ( I drink the Lipton Green tea with berry flavor)

Replies

• DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of it, because I adore it but as for weight loss properties i'm not sure. The reason it works as a weight loss tool for me is that I drink it whenever I get hungry and that satisfies me enough that i don't need to snack.
  • jonnlo
    jonnlo Posts: 1
    Options
    Green Tea has antioxidants and lowers sugar levels. Its great overall apart from helping you lose weight. Google Green Tea for more information.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "They" say that it can boost your metabolism. I read somewhere that you have to drink a LOT to have that affect though. I do drink it sometimes in the afternoons...I like it better than regular tea, and it's nice to sit down and have a mug of tea with my afternoon snack. I feel more satisfied than if I just had water with my snack.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I am also a greet tea drinker, started it due to the weight loss properties. I have googled it, and have learned that you do not benefit from drinking more then 3 cups a day.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I've read that oolong or white tea gives the same benefits if you don't like green tea. (i don't. I wish I could drink it, but I can't) :(
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I heard it was meant to help with bloating ?! I do drink a cup or two a day, and have to say I prefer it to norm tea. I used to drink norm tea black with no sugar anyway so it was easy for me to get used to green tea.
    I find the twinings green tea with flavours in delish.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    A lot of the claims were born from people lik Opera who allowed doctors to speak of green tea as if it were some sort of miracle supplement for fat loss. Obviously, if this were true, O wouldn't be battling her weight still. :)

A large faction of supposed authorities have misrepresented the scientific literature - and more often than not, this is done to separate the unknowing masses from their money. No different than most any other scam in the weight loss industry that drives me crazy.

/rant

Truth be told, green tea does have thermogenic properties which means it *will* indeed bump up metabolism. However, research isn't conclusive with regards to the long term effects it can have on weight loss/control. If there is a significant impact on long term weight loss/control, it's extremely minor compared to the tried and true things like smart eating, exercise, etc. So it's not something to get overly excited about, if at all.

Granted, green tea is very healthy, which is supported by loads of research. So don't go throwing it out just b/c some marketers decided to lie to you about some of the data.
  • kellytwingirlz97
    Options
    I noticed that underneath your ticker some of you have starting weight, current weight, mini goals and final goal. How did you put that info on there?
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I noticed that underneath your ticker some of you have starting weight, current weight, mini goals and final goal. How did you put that info on there?
    If you scroll up to the top of the page you'll see a link to "Signature". You can put that info in there if you like.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    green tea does help - but you have to drink alot of it! I drink it for the anti-o properties. But dont get lipton unless you REALLY like it! I think that it tastes like cardboard personally. Do you have a china town near by that you can go to and get the "real" green tea. I get beautiful loose leaf green tea in china town and it tastes WAY better than the lipton stuff - fresher and lighter tasting!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I buy the uncle lee's from walmart. I didnt care for it to start (not really a tea drinker), but now I don't mind it.
  • LostTeen
    LostTeen Posts: 110
    Options
    Green tea is good.. contains no calories =]
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yup, green tea is good. It's the marketers who choose to turn it into something it's not that upset me.