What to eat before and after 5 mile run...

Options
I have signed up for my first 5 mile run which is going to happen in two weeks.

My questions is:

Is there a certain type of food/nutrition that I would benefit if I ate it before my run?

Also

Is there a certain type of food/nutrition that I would benefit in recovery after my run?

Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My simple rule of thumb is carbs before and protein after.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I find that anything under 6 miles, I don't really need to do anything to "prep" or "recover" from the run. However, a race scenerio may be different. General words of wisdom is to not eat anything before the run that you don't normally eat before a run - but carbs are good. A whole wheat bagel with peanut butter or oatmeal are good options. After a run, chocolate milk has been shown to have pretty much the perfect levels of carb/protein/fat your body needs to recover.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you not eat anything at least 2 hrs prior to a run, especially for a shorter run like a 5 miler. This could lead to GI distress, and you looking for a bathroom which is not a pleasant thing to deal with. Your body stores anywhere from 1500-2000 cals of glycogen (fuel) which is more than enough to cover that run. Any endurance exercise that last less than 90 mins, your body has enough stores to work with without having to digest food, which takes blood away from muscles.

Post-race, a good combo of carbs & protein is best, like a bagel with some natural peanut butter, and possibly a banana to restore some of the potassium.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above post... that's good advice.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    Defintely something with carbs, and protein. Think of marathon runners the night before they pig out on pasta...lol...I wouldn't go to that extreme since it's only a 5miles compared to 26 miles. Seriously though maybe a multi grain bagel with the low fat cream cheese. I always have tremendous energy after I eat one which is usually about once a week. A glass of 50/50 OJ for the added sugar boost, and lots of water during the run.

After the run I would eat a huge salad with Spinach, and all the other good for you veggies. You will need to replenish everything that you sweated out, and again some lean protein (fish, turkey).
    These are just suggestions, i have never run a 5miles, but just using some knowledge I have about what burns when and how to get it.
    I'm sure you will get many more suggestions from others.

Good Luck with the run.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    OK scratch everything I said....LOL
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    My last race (wow, years ago) was a half marathon.. I see some others said not to eat before but hey I find its always best not to run on an empty stomach.. I think the race was at 7AM and I woke up around 4-430, did some walking to stretch out and ate a bagel but nothing more (I tend to get nauseaus if I eat too closely to running.) I usually don't eat much but a banana before a 5k, but I have never ran a 5 mile so I hope this helps.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the tremendous feedback :)