Weight lifting for weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You WILL NOT get bulky from lifting heavy weights!!!!!

I currently do StrongLifts and I love it. It's a very simple program and you will see results! There is also a great group here for women that do the SL program.

Priorities should look like this:

1. Diet/Nutrition
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

You will see great results :)

Awesome, thanks! How often do you do cardio? (:

I do SL 3x per week with a Tabata finisher and then I do cardio at least 2 other days, usually 3. Usually always interval training, HIIT, or Tabata routines but only for a max of 20-30 minutes. I will sometimes do steady state on my last day of the week before my 2 day rest for like 40 or 45 minutes :)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    combo of both has worked for me. i havent really been taking my diet that seriously for the past, oh, ever :laugh: , but i have lost 20 pounds. not a lot on the scale but it's been 5 pant sizes

i weight lift 3 days a week (either crossfit, strong lifts or olympic lifts), do HIIT sprints once or twice a week, and some more moderate intensity cardio 1-2 times a week. i try to keep my workouts to 30 (on days i only swim) - no more than 75 minutes (on days i lift and do hiit)

and you wont get bulky from lifting weights and eating below your maintenance, unless by bulky you mean slimmer
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    may I ask, what is strong lifts? is it a program?

You WILL NOT get bulky from lifting heavy weights!!!!!

I currently do StrongLifts and I love it. It's a very simple program and you will see results! There is also a great group here for women that do the SL program.

Priorities should look like this:

1. Diet/Nutrition
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

You will see great results :)

Awesome, thanks! How often do you do cardio? (:

Yes, it's a weight training program. You can find the info if you google it or if you go to the Women's StrongLifts group here on MFP you will find a great sticky on it.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The SL group on here is great for getting started. It's a great program- and easy to follow. You'll probably need to go to a gym (unless you have an awesome home gym in your basement) but don't get intimidated by going into the "boys" section.

And I second everyone who already said "YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY."