weight loss supplements/drinks??? HELP!

Options
new to this site and i love it! lots of good advice and tips. was wondering if anyone uses any type of weightloss supplements,diet pills or drinks. ive been checking them out at wal-mart but not sure if im just gonna be wasting my money. Should i or shouldnt i?? if i should what kind worked for you?

Replies

• lalaloomis
    Options
    slim-fast
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    i looked into slim fast :) was considering it.. i was wondering if along with the diet and exercise if these supplements speed up the weight loss and help controll appetite?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is nothing but a bottle of chemicals and sugar. Sure, it helps you lose weight because it controls your calories but it's much healthier for you to actually eat food to lose weight.

Suppliments do not help speed weight loss ... some will help with appetite control but do you really want to put a ton of chemicals into your body when you can get the same results with food? The suppliments on the market haven't been reviewed and deemed as safe. They can have extreme side effects (A friend of mine has permanently screwed up her digestive system due to a weight loss drug, another spent a week in the hospital).

To speed up fat loss, build muscle. To help with appetite control eat lots of protein, fibre and drink lots of water.
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take supplements to lift. As far as weight-loss goes, don't waste your money on fat-loss supplements. The best way is to eat clean, there really are no other exceptions. Slimfast "works" because your are replacing a meal (usually breakfast). For me, drinking my meals usually makes me hungrier later on. I suggest eating whole foods and keep the diet clean. That is why you have a myfitnesspal to log your macros and calorie intake :)

I know this really isn't the news you want to hear, but eating whole foods and keeping refined sugars out of your diet is the best (and IMHO the only) way to lose the fat and achieve your goals.
  • Trainypooh
    Trainypooh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you do want to drink a shake, make your own. Buy a bag of whey protein from samsclub or you can even buy the six star or body fortress brand from walmart for cheap. throw in some frozen fruits and skim milk or almond milk and youre good to go.
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I take supplements to lift. As far as weight-loss goes, don't waste your money on fat-loss supplements. The best way is to eat clean, there really are no other exceptions. Slimfast "works" because your are replacing a meal (usually breakfast). For me, drinking my meals usually makes me hungrier later on. I suggest eating whole foods and keep the diet clean. That is why you have a myfitnesspal to log your macros and calorie intake :)

I know this really isn't the news you want to hear, but eating whole foods and keeping refined sugars out of your diet is the best (and IMHO the only) way to lose the fat and achieve your goals.

I agree. I am working on eating clean. I have also purchased the eat clean diet book and really do not consider it a diet. I consider this a lifestyle change. I want to eat healthier, teach my children to eat healthy foods. We keep very few processed foods in the house for that reason. I make a meal 90% of the time rather than purchasing and it is made from scratch. I keep fresh vegetables and fruits for snacking. It helps immensely to have breakfast which is hard for me. I end up using a meal replacement for breakfast since I would rather drink it than eat. (Growing up my mom didn't make me eat breakfast it was an option and now it is hard unless it is after 10 am). :(
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    slim-fast

without a weight loss supplement, one can achieve those same effects with just a few days of exercise!...correct me if i am wrong!! :)
    if you are going to take a weight loss supplement, you need to realize that many of these supplements are dangerous, but also that the effects are significantly miniscule compared to exercise and eating healthy... some pills may ensure rapid weight loss, but they can also inflict serious damage to your system also. Some pills might work and some dont work. so wht to do??.. firstly read the reviews twice chk out the list of ingredients tht it contains... i got to know about slim-fast on a website...there I found that it contains too much sugar which helps u in enery boosting only...not in losing weight, many a nutritionist also believes tht it is not a long term solution for weight loss...read here http://www.thinreport.com/slim-fast.html the overall review of slim-fast...and decide by urself is it gonna work or not??
  • ellouise1108
    ellouise1108 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    slim fast is pure sugar- I was using it last summer and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing any weight, quit drinking it in September and have lost almost 40lbs by switching to a whey protein shake from walmart. I only drink 1 shake a day after I workout though so I'm sure if I replaced 2 meals I would have lost more by now...