A little help from my friends...

Options
So, I'm reaching out to all willing MFP friends... I'm a little nervous. I'm half way to my goal. I've upped my calorie allowance from 1200 to 1500. I did some research and found that the general concensus was that once I lost 10% of my body weight at 1200 calories, if I didn't up my calorie in take, I would hit a plateau and my weight loss would stop. I calculated my BMR as 1435, so I know that I should still loose at 1500. The loss will just be slower. Which is frustrating, since it has taken me 6 months to loose 19 lbs as it is. I have a highly sedetary job and I walk for about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week. I am trying to work in more excerise on the weekends and with the holidays over I think that will be possible now. I'm just nervous that increasing my calories will slow down my already slow progress to from a "snails pace" to "glacial" speed. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories several months ago and my loss slowed significantly. But, I feel better, I'm not nearly as tired or cranky, and upping my calories has really helped me relax about the whole thing and not stress out over 100 calories here and there. So your loss may slow, but the benefits of feeling like I can actually "do" this forever really more than make up for slow losses (for me).
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey, I totally understand your trepidation regarding upping calories. I am in the process of upping mine from 1,000 to about 1240. I have had medical testing done so although my intake is low, so is my metabolism. Actually, now it's considered normal. In any case, it was strongly suggested to me to up the calories gradually in order not to completely derail my weight loss. I have added 20 calories/week which is ultra slow but I'm okay with that. I have lost a total of about 100 lbs on 1200 calories or less. I did hit a plateau about a month back or so but it was hardly permanent. Sometimes my weight loss slows done but upping your calories may be a better way to eventually acclimate to your maintenance plan. I guess everyone is different so you have to find out what works for you.

I'm not too unhappy with my low calories so I haven't had the urge to up them, my intake is based on medical testing and I'm find with that. Once I reach my maintenance weight I'll start upping my calories very gradually.

You may have to visit the 1500 calorie for a while and see what's happening but based on my experience it could take you a little while (weeks) to adjust to a higher calorie intake so don't base what your ultimate weight loss will be with a 1500 calorie intake until you've let your body adjust for a while.

Good luck, you're doing a fantastic job!
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thats part of the reason I so nervous, I am not really hunrgy at 1200. I tend to eat a fair amount at 1200. (Yesterday was an off day due to some issues helping with my family.) In general if you look at my food diary you see that I eat every day. I feel like a I eat alot. I don't eat a lot of junk, but I do get a good mix of fruit, veggies, and protein. So if I am eating just because my counter is not at a specific number yet vs. my body actually being hungry it seems counter intuitive. If I got in trouble from eating too much, why would eating when I'm not really hungry help me loose weight?