I've been starving myself!

Options
Over the past year, I tried very hard to eat only 1200 calories a day at the recommendation of another mobile weight loss app (I tracked everything on MFP). I didn't lose a pound, despite my best efforts. I was eating ok; I'm on a very low budget, so some days the best nutritional food I had were canned vegetables.

So imagine my surprise when I found that over the holidays... I didn't gain a pound. Despite eating more than 2000 calories a day (easily) of junk. Curious as to what was going on, I looked up a few calorie calculators.

The final numbers vary, but with my body type and current weight I should be eating an absolute minimum of 1650 calories. Wow!!! Dieting has suddenly become much easier.

I didn't even know I was starving myself. I just wasn't ever hungry. I didn't often eat breakfast. I drank lots of water.

I don't know why I'm sharing this, other than to encourage everyone to double check their minimum calorie intake! I already feel so much better after less than a week of eating this amount, and tracking feels far more manageable because I don't feel guilty when I eat something that's 500 calories (which I used to, even if something was good for me).

Has anyone else experienced this? What kinds of foods did you eat to "fill the extra space," etc?

Replies

• kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    eating more to weigh less really works. Everyone should check their BMR and TDEE. I was eating 1200 too and lost weight but wasnt healthy now im eating 1500-1700 and feel great! There is a guy on MFP i "helloitsdan" i think and he really preaches the eating more philosophy and it really works.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Something is amiss. If you were really eating 1200 caories per day for an entire year and haven't lost any weight at all, how is adding more calories going to make you lose?
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When you starve your body of calories, it clings to what you're giving it. Or so Weight Watchers told me five years ago. That's why they always stress "eating all of your points."
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm eating around 1200 per day and I'm eating some (but never all) of my exercise calories back and it's working great for me. I'm super happy with the results. So, I just chalk it up to everyone being different. So I agree that everyone should experiment with calories & exercise a bit if they're not getting the results they would expect.

I'm glad you've found something that is working well for you!
  • smudgeroo
    Options
    I'll be interested to see how much you lose. Let us know!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    This is what happened to me as well. I started out at 1200 just fine, but was tired all the time. Even if I ate my exercise calories I'd be starving....and on weeks I ate those, I never lost weight. I did lose 23 lbs on the 1200, but I felt awful. I ended up giving up because of that. When I came back, I started at 1650 and feel much better and it is way easier to workout and stick to this lifestyle now!
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been eating my daily alottment given by MFP, but NOT my exercise calories (i didnt trust that they were correct)... barely losing weight, i went to my personal trainer VERY upset, and when he checked my food log, he told me that for the amount i am exercising, i should be eating between 1800 and 2000 calories! I upped my intake from 1260 a day to almost 1800, and in the past 2 weeks, 5 lbs have practically fallen off. hope it does the trick for you!!!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Something is amiss. If you were really eating 1200 caories per day for an entire year and haven't lost any weight at all, how is adding more calories going to make you lose?

Perhaps, for her body, it was starvation mode? I see it was already answered, but yeah...when you starve your body, even when YOU don't think you are starving, it holds on to everything in case you really are, in fact, starving.

That's why I'm in my plateau right now, actually.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm eating around 1200 per day and I'm eating some (but never all) of my exercise calories back and it's working great for me. I'm super happy with the results. So, I just chalk it up to everyone being different. So I agree that everyone should experiment with calories & exercise a bit if they're not getting the results they would expect.

I'm glad you've found something that is working well for you!

Me too. I'm usually 1200-1300 calories/day and I exercise most days and I've lost 6 pounds.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Starvation has tons of ill side effects so if you felt fine, you were not starving. Also, starving does not occur until you consume less than half of your BMR for a prolonged amount of time. I think you may have been overestimating the calorie count (which has happened to me-- some days I'm sure I must have gone over my calorie count but actually didn't). It is physically impossible to starve yourself and not lose weight. I am not trying to discourage you from eating at whatever calorie count you are now. If it is keeping you healthy then you should keep doing it. I just wanted to point out what starvation entails as many people seem to get it confused.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Perhaps, for her body, it was starvation mode? I see it was already answered, but yeah...when you starve your body, even when YOU don't think you are starving, it holds on to everything in case you really are, in fact, starving.

Starvation mode may cause a plateau, but it doesn't prevent someone from ever losing any weight. Thtat's not how the body works. If she was truly eating only 1200 calories for an entire year and didn't lose any weight, eating more calories will cause her to gain unless she also changes her activity level, because clearly 1200 is her TDEE.
  • tpfoodie
    Options
    Starvation has tons of ill side effects so if you felt fine, you were not starving. Also, starving does not occur until you consume less than half of your BMR for a prolonged amount of time. I think you may have been overestimating the calorie count (which has happened to me-- some days I'm sure I must have gone over my calorie count but actually didn't). It is physically impossible to starve yourself and not lose weight. I am not trying to discourage you from eating at whatever calorie count you are now. If it is keeping you healthy then you should keep doing it. I just wanted to point out what starvation entails as many people seem to get it confused.

I absolutely had negative side effects, such as not being able tog get out of bed, and sucking down cups of coffee to fill my empty stomach. Everything I logged in MFP was measured and accurately logged, as I've been to this rodeo before. If my calories were being overestimated, it was because of the resources provided in MFP. Regardless, I don't think that was the case.
  • tpfoodie
    Options

Starvation mode may cause a plateau, but it doesn't prevent someone from ever losing any weight. Thtat's not how the body works. If she was truly eating only 1200 calories for an entire year and didn't lose any weight, eating more calories will cause her to gain unless she also changes her activity level, because clearly 1200 is her TDEE.

That's funny, because I've gone a month on more than 1200 and haven't gained a pound. Chalk it up to "every body's different."
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    When I first signed up for MFP I had my goal settings at "2 lbs a week" which was only 1200 calories a day. It was soo hard staying at 1200 I never lasted very long. I went back and changed my goals to 1 lb per week and my daily calories went up to 1720. It is so much easier to stay within my calorie range. I am a lot more optimistic about my weight loss now. Good luck!
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options

LOL no adult has a TDEE of 1,200.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Over the past year, I tried very hard to eat only 1200 calories a day at the recommendation of another mobile weight loss app (I tracked everything on MFP). I didn't lose a pound, despite my best efforts. I was eating ok; I'm on a very low budget, so some days the best nutritional food I had were canned vegetables.

So imagine my surprise when I found that over the holidays... I didn't gain a pound. Despite eating more than 2000 calories a day (easily) of junk. Curious as to what was going on, I looked up a few calorie calculators.

The final numbers vary, but with my body type and current weight I should be eating an absolute minimum of 1650 calories. Wow!!! Dieting has suddenly become much easier.

I didn't even know I was starving myself. I just wasn't ever hungry. I didn't often eat breakfast. I drank lots of water.

I don't know why I'm sharing this, other than to encourage everyone to double check their minimum calorie intake! I already feel so much better after less than a week of eating this amount, and tracking feels far more manageable because I don't feel guilty when I eat something that's 500 calories (which I used to, even if something was good for me).

Has anyone else experienced this? What kinds of foods did you eat to "fill the extra space," etc?

Thank GOD you are sharing it ... It takes folks time to realise either how this site works (ie deficit and eating back a proportion of calories) or customising your own goals using BMR and TDEE cuts.
    Either way - it's all about making better choices about what you eat and knowing you CAN indulge to a point, and how to plan for it.

It's great when I see other folks getting to grips with the numbers ... Good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That's funny, because I've gone a month on more than 1200 and haven't gained a pound. Chalk it up to "every body's different."

Then either you are/were logging incorrectly or you changed your "calories out". Outside a medical procedure, you can only lose by having a calorie deficit and you can only gain by having a calorie surplus. Different calories at the same activity level can't create both.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    eat more!
  • bcattoes
    Options

LOL no adult has a TDEE of 1,200.

So, what is your explanation for an adult that eats 1200 a day for 52 weeksn and doesn't lose or gain a pound?
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    You should of lost some weight. Your body only stops losing weight after extended periods of severe calorie deficits.

Something is definitely wrong here.