Constantly eating the calories I burn off at the gym

Options
Hello, my name is Shan. I recently joined MFP because I am in desperate need of support. I have always been a curvy gal; however, a few years ago, I lost about 30lbs. I was lean and looked amazing. No one around me agreed, however. Everyone constantly told me that I looked sick and malnourished. They'd ask why I lost so much and things of that nature. Maintaining my new weight was extremely hard for me to do, but I was managing. Eventually, I gave into everyone's opinion ( and the stress of trying to manage this weight) and decided I need to gain some weight back. Now a few years and 40lbs later, I truly regret listening to my friends and family. I don't know what I could have done, but trying to gain weight back was the wrong move. I say this because, its not like I was underweight. I was 155 lbs! I guess my family and friend were just used to seeing my look a certain way. Fast forward...Unhappy with my appearance, I'm finally motivated to workout and do so consistently 4 days a week. However, I have a new problem. I am constantly eating the calories that I burn at the gym. I cheat on my diet with "reward foods" or eat whatever I want with the intent of working out harder the next day...It never happens. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well for one, if you're using MFP to track down the burn from workout and your food intake then its really alright to take in the calories you've burned off the gym if you are really hungry. MFP automatically makes the deficit for you so the daily need you see has already been deducted with the amount of calories that can lead to a loss every week. I always say that burning off extra calories to add up as a deficit is great but ultimately you would want to really hit your daily need and see how much will you net at the end of the day.
    I don't really restrict myself with the foods that I love to eat but I do eat them properly according to their serving size. If you have extra space in your macros to fill it up then by all means you can eat it as long as you know how much you can only it. Its all about self control. Sometimes we binge on it coz we lose ourselves to what we want but if you eat it with a mindset that there's a limit I'm sure you will be able to control it.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just did this yesterday, actually. It has always been a problem with me, so I am working on planning an after-workout snack that allows me the comfort of eating a little without busting the calorie bank. I just recently bought some flavored hummas and celery, which I discovered works great because the flavors are so strong I only want to eat a few bites. I don't know if that will work for you, but it may be worth a shot :happy:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It seems like it might help you to try to remember how you were thinking BEFORE all the original 30 lb weight loss. It seems like the opinions of others after you achieved that goal may have gotten under your skin and might be undermining your current resolve. Try starting a journal with as many pages as it takes to describe fully how your thinking was back then when you successfully lost weight in the first place. THEN start journaling this time daily just the key parts of the day that affect your progress. If the opinions of others are working their way in there literally draw a line through them or blacken them out completely with a big black marker. Hopefully in time those thoughts won't get in your way anymore soon you won't even see them in your journal. Make sure your total calorie intake is in line with healthy and realistic limits so you don't starve. Also, rethink your goal weight, not so much because of the negative feedback you got from others but because you said it was hard to maintain. Maybe a somewhat higher goal weight might be easier to maintain and still feel good to you? Maybe if it helps re read the beginning good motivating part of your journal where you recorded the thinking that got you to goal the first time.
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Shan

I used to (and still do sometimes) do this - and i always kick myself after if I have rewarded myself with too much, or something not nutritious. I think we're supposed to reach our chosen calorie deficit though, so what I do now is only have a 'reward' once or twice a week, and the rest of the time, I either don't eat those extra calories (if I'm not hungry), or I have a larger evening meal, so I am eating my calories sensibly.

I also began to realise that a bar of chocolate (my undoing in the past...) equates to a heck of a long time in the gym! Which actually has put me off using those calories for rewards or treats!

Anyway, this is just the way I work it, hope this post is of some help for you too!

Han x
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back those calories - that's why MFP adds them to your daily calorie allowance when you log them!

I see that's not the complete problem though...you're using the extra calories as an excuse to binge a bit and that's not really the point. I believe there's nothing wrong with having a treat every day as long as you keep within your calories and keep the junk to a minimum. Try planning better for your workout calories by having some nutritious snacks at hand like fruit, nuts, protein shake or bar, maybe even a boiled egg or two etc. Use those calories for good fuel instead of an indulgence.
  • shannishan05
    shannishan05 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soo much for your responses. You have given me tips and ideas that I will definitely incorporate into my daily regime and routine. Hopefully, this week will be different. Thanks again.