Sidelined by a foot injury...what to do?

Options
I just blogged about the fact that my month-old workout schedule has been sidelined by a foot injury (blog here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kingking/view/ouch-ouch-ouch-19408 )...

Anyone else experience something similar? Does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping active when I'm supposed to stay off my injured foot? This looks like it might end this season's skiing and my karate sensei is going to *kill* me. <sigh> I wonder how long before I can get on the elliptical machine again?

I'm hopeful the doctor will clear me to keep swimming, but it's hard to find an empty lane sometimes.

Replies

• kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    I am finally on my last day of recovering from at least a degree 2 calf strain - very painful. Recovery has taken about a week. I am used to working out about 5 times a week, so this was really tough for me. I felt like I was going backwards. I tried to do a low intensity workout, but that was not helping me recover and made my calf hurt more - so I had to stop after 5-10 minutes. Depending on how long this is going to take to recover - I recommend giving it a rest for a few days or longer... Eat within your calories. It is hard, but you can do it. Your doctor should be able to give you some great advice as to what activities will be okay. I wish you a speedy recovery for your foot.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Tough break!

First things first - your activity levels are obviously going to drop a bit so be sure to adjust your caloric intake accordingly. If you were expending 400 calories per day via activity and now can only get away with 1-200 per day... drop your intake down by 2-300.

With regards to what you can physically do, be sure to listen to the doc. Worsening the injury is the last thing you'd want to do, obviously. Swimming would be ideal. There are upper body ergometers that you could use as well... not sure if you have access to one.

A good chiropractor who specializes in soft tissue therapies such as Graston and ART is what I'd recommend. I can help you find one but don't want to violate any rules about posting links.

Finding a good podiatrist could go a long way, too... often times orthodics can be a saving grace when it comes to plantar fasciitis.
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have seizmoiditis in my left foot, so I can't do much either... it's been like 9 months UGGGHH!! I do low impact stuff (elliptical, strength training, and power walking). It sucks! Good luck!