My First 1/2 Marathon

So I have set a lofty goal for myself. My wife and I have registered for our first 1/2 Marathon. We currently run 5 times a week usually between 3-5 miles a run. I have just over 4 months to step it up and pull out 13.1 miles.
Training steps up today

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Good luck! I am doing my first 1/2 in April. Are you following a set training program?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Good luck! My first half is in April. I think I could do it right now (except the weather is terrible LOL). The farthest I've run is about 10.5 miles.

I'm not doing a particular training program. I kind of made up my own. I run 3 times a week (I'd like to do 4, and will when the weather is warmer). One week I'll do two short runs and one medium run and the next week I'll do two short runs and one long run. Then repeat the two week cycle. My short runs are up to 3.5 miles, medium is 3.6 to 7.5 miles, and long runs over 7.5 miles. I'll stretch my long runs gradually to 13 miles and then taper off a couple weeks before the race.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Sounds like you have a great base to build from. Good luck, and have fun.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I have done 5 Halfs so far. I walked most of them and then this last one, I ran about 20% of it and took 26 minutes off my best time. I will be doing my sixth one in December or January and plan on taking off another 20 minutes at least as I am now (finally) learning and training to run for distance. No matter what, there is nothing like crossing the finish line! And be warned, they are addictive!

Good luck!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    I've run 4 halfs (1 in 2011 and 3 in 2012) and am signed up for 4 halfs this spring! It's my fav distance! Looks like your base mileage is great. Now it's time to take your weekend run and lengthen it by 1 mile each weekend. So run 3x's during the week for 3-5 miles and then on Saturday, run 5 miles. Then next Saturday 6 miles. Keep increasing that a mile a weekend until you're up to around 13 miles! If you want to follow a formal training plan (which I highly recommend), check out Hal Higdon's Novice 1 or Novice 2 training plans, I used them last spring and loved them! (google it, they're free on his website) Good luck!
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    I have run 7 half marathons and multiple 5 & 10 K's. I am currently registered for Carlsbad Half on January 27, Women's Half (San Diego) on February 24, San Diego Half on March 10, and Hooley's to Hooley's Half on March 17....I may be dead in April...lol. I will be 45 next week and have only been running since 2010, with some injury timeouts last year. So, if I can do it, anyone can!! Good for all of you who are getting into it...you WILL get addicted, but it is good!! Enjoy it!!
  • ats4908
    ats4908 Posts: 25 Member
    I have run 1 full and 3 halfs. Runnersworld.com has numerous good training programs. I am not sure where you live but train outdoors as much as possible. The older I get the more cross-training helps my endurance. Also train for the type of course you will be running that can make a huge difference in your comfort level on race day. Go luck!
  • I did my first half in november and I loved it! I didnt really follow a training plan just kind of winged it on my own. I run three days a week with my long run being on sunday. When I first started out I just added a mile to my long run every week untill I got to 10. Although my advice to you would be train past 10! Everyone always says that 10 is all you need and that your adrenaline will get you through the last 3.1. I struggled that 3.1! Also I was starving at mile 6! so maybe bring a snack with you or get used to those gels. I have never taken the gel and they were handing them out along the way but I as afraid to eat them because i didnt know if it would make me sick or not. One other thing I would have done differently which probably wont be a factor to you since your race is in four months and probably wont be cold, but anyways I would have dressed in layers. It was cold in the morning during my race so I wore long sleeves and I was burning up at about mile 4 but couldnt take anything off because i didnt have anything under it. Good luck! With the exception of giving birth to my two beautiful daughters, completing that half marathon was the proudest and most accomplished ive ever felt of myself! Its an awesome feeling!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Congrats on the decision. You will most likely love it and become addicted! I ran my first half last May, my second half is the end of the montha and again in May. I hope you don't mind but I would love to add you guys as friends, I like to have running buddies :)