NSVs and things I learned on vacation!

Options
I planned and planned for a 2 1/2 week vacation, confident that I would breeze through, continuing to lose weight. Instead I gained 10 pounds. Since I have been back I have lost 3.8 and am (happily) back on track.So these are the things I have learned while I was on vacation:

1. When placed in unfamiliar surroundings and in somewhat stressful situations (staying at someone's house, holidays, meeting new people, including my boyfriend's family for the first time, etc), I easily reverted back to my compulsive eating/overeating behaviors.

2. Sometimes there are NO good food choices. In situations like that, moderation is the key. I did not practice moderation while on vacation because I was stressed about the food choices sometimes. I kind of threw up my hands and went oh well, it is all bad for me, so what difference does it make??

3. It DOES make a difference! A little of a bad/unhealthy thing is MUCH BETTER than a whole lot of a bad/unhealthy thing. :)

4. I like my boyfriend's family. And their big, floppy dogs. :)

Now, since I have been back, I have had several NSVs that have really helped to motivate me. First, I found more clothes in my closet that are ridiculously big for me, even with my weight gain. Also I went shopping around at Goodwill (I LOVE goodwill) and bought 3 dresses. One was a size 16 (that one mainly fit because I am smaller on top than the bottom and it was cut in a similar fashion), one was a size 20 (that one won't have long in my closet as it is already a little big, but it is ADORABLE and was only $4 on half-priced Monday!!), and a very small dress I mistook for a shirt. I was surprised when I put it on at home that it was in fact a small, skimpy dress (I just grabbed it at the last minute because it was $2 and I didn't try it on). I was even more surprised when it fit. It is a size large and is tight and snug and honestly the fabric is stretchy and gives a lot, but I was SOOOOO happy with how it looked on me.

So that is how my New Year is shaping up (Ah, ha, ha, get it??? Shaping up??). Hope yours has been equally exciting!!

Alison!!

:wink:

Replies

• ashlielinn
    Options
    4. I like my boyfriend's family. And their big, floppy dogs. :)

^ This made me smile!

Glad you're not letting a little setback get to you and are focusing on the positives! Great attitude!
  • kateneyxx
    kateneyxx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a noob but what are these NSVs everyone is talking about? LOL :laugh:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love the goodwill and other stores like it. I started the new year by squeezing into a size 12. I started 2012 in a tight size 20 so that's a win in my book. Congrats on your progress.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a noob but what are these NSVs everyone is talking about? LOL :laugh:

Non Scale victory

OP-congrats! I love your attitude!
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options

NSV=Non Scale Victory
  • thenewkayla08
    thenewkayla08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love this post!! Great job on vacation even if you did gain pounds, you also gained alot of knowledge about yourself and how to overcome next time! Your doing wonderful!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!