Shouldn't vitamins be improving my energy levels?

So, I have been consistently taking vitamins...And even doubling or tripling up on B12 for energy lately...Shouldn't I be feeling an improvement? I switched to gummy vitamins for many things, except stuff like my green tea w/hoodia, and my bio-flex supplement, and Co-Q10...

I felt the original ones made me feel bloated after I took them, and I figured a gummy may have a better chance at the vitamins being absorbed by my body...

I thought I would start having more energy by now, but, I am actually more exhausted feeling...like my eyes burn type of tired.

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    What are you eating? If you are undereating then you will be tired. Also the amount of sleep you get.
  • Not all vitamins are great quality. I take the Vi-pak which has an anti-aging and energy supplement and it's amazing. But I also drink a Vi-shake before going to bed and I have been sleeping so much better and soundly and wake up fully rested. If you want more info on that, email me ariellesantos@hotmail.com to not slide from this thread
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Not if you were not deficient in the first place, nutrition/ dietetics is a science not a lottery or a one size fits all thing. We don't all have the same diet, health conditions or lifestyle so we don't all benefit from the same prescription drug or herb or micronutrient. If you were supposed to self diagnose and self treat we could do away with mainstream medicine, all dieticians and 'nutritionists'. Energy production and metabolism is an incredibly complex series of chemical reactions using the entire complement of macro and micronutrients not just one.

Some fat soluble vitamins are toxic in higher doses, some water soluble vitamins you just pee right out again (although mega dosing is another ball game). Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition, randomly supplementing one or small groups can actually worsen or create deficiencies. Best absorbed and utilised sources of most things are wholefoods.

And sorry to sound picky but please can all US citizens start calling supplements 'supplements', vitamins 'vitamins' and minerals 'minerals'? It's super confusing for those of us who live outside America and read the dictionary/ medical definition of a word when you didn't mean that. I don't want to give someone a bum steer.