coffee - caffeine or pesticide

WAnnB
WAnnB Posts: 65 Member
I switched to organic coffee because I personally believe that the headaches are withdrawals from the pesticides and chemicals. I have nothing to back this up except my own experience. Organic coffee still has caffeine but I haven't experienced the headaches. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    It might be possible that there are some flavorings, dyes, or preservatives they put in the coffee that could mess you up. I love organic! :3
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    If pesticides and 'chemicals' were the reason you got withdrawal headaches, then you should have had more headaches upon switching to organic (because the absence of a drug is what produces withdrawal symptoms). Or do you mean that when you stop drinking coffee you get a headache? Have you stopped drinking organic coffee to test it?

I ask because caffeine is a vasodilator in the brain (constrictor in the periphery), and it's use, overuse and cessation of use can result in headaches. Coffee is often used by migraine sufferers, for example, because it's vasoconstriction/vasodilation effects, which are variable across the body, and its effects on smooth muscle relaxation can help relieve headache symptoms.

I think a more likely explanation is that the different growth, cultivation, variety or processing of the organic beans has resulted in a different caffeine concentration.

Going organic is a good thing to do if possible, although fair-trade and sustainably/shade-grown coffee are arguably better ethical practices. But that's a different argument unrelated to headaches.

If you want to do organic, good for you! But I think your headache effect might be about caffeine content and not pesticides.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I switched to organic coffee because I personally believe that the headaches are withdrawals from the pesticides and chemicals. I have nothing to back this up except my own experience. Organic coffee still has caffeine but I haven't experienced the headaches. What are your thoughts?

I personally beleive you need to do some more objective research on the matter
  • WAnnB
    If pesticides and 'chemicals' were the reason you got withdrawal headaches, then you should have had more headaches upon switching to organic (because the absence of a drug is what produces withdrawal symptoms). Or do you mean that when you stop drinking coffee you get a headache? Have you stopped drinking organic coffee to test it?

I ask because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, and it's use, overuse and cessation of use can result in headaches. Coffee is often used by migraine sufferers, for example, because it's vasoconstriction (and smooth muscle relaxtion) effects can help relieve headache symptoms.

I think a more likely explanation is that the different growth, cultivation, variety or processing of the organic beans has resulted in a different caffeine concentration.

Going organic is a good thing to do if possible, although fair-trade and sustainably/shade-grown coffee are arguably better ethical practices. But that's a different argument unrelated to headaches.

If you want to do organic, good for you! But I think your headache effect might be about caffeine content and not pesticides.

I did give up organic coffee for a while and suffered no headaches. (when I say organic I am not necessarily talking about certified organic just naturally grown)

Good thoughts and info. Thanks
  • WAnnB

I personally beleive you need to do some more objective research on the matter

I am. That is why I am asking MFP members. All of their experience and knowledge. Wow! great research.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member

Not all coffee beans and blends are chemically the same. Has less to do with organic or non-organic and more to do with how they've roasted it, the types of beans, origin of those beans, etc.

For example, physical effects I have from a cup of coffee at Starbucks is different than the fresh ground I make with the beans I buy at the coffee beans place I go to which is different from Keurig or whatever that thing is around at the coffee stations in my office which is different from Folgers instant.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    I love coffee... Don't drink as much as I used to, though. I usually have a cup each morning, but I used to drink several all day long. I don't think I got any more headaches with the extra coffee than I do these days. Can't attest to organic coffee effects at all. Does it taste better?
  • WAnnB
    I love coffee... Don't drink as much as I used to, though. I usually have a cup each morning, but I used to drink several all day long. I don't think I got any more headaches with the extra coffee than I do these days. Can't attest to organic coffee effects at all. Does it taste better?

I think it is a matter of taste. My family prefers it and will give up drinking coffee at other places for ours.