Newbie Advice - To train or not to train...

Options
Hello to all the new folks coming on MFP as part of your 2013 New Year's resolution. I commend you for your decision to improve yourself! Like all on-line communities, you're going to find some really cool friends here as well as a fair share of quacks, crazies and a few idiots. You are welcome to decide for yourself which one I am.

A little less than a year ago I was 5'7" and 220 lbs. I was rejected for life insurance as being too obese. While I am still 5'7" (nothing I could do about that), I am now 168 lbs. and contemplating training for a triathalon.

I know how you feel about yourself. There are a lot of good folks here who started out feeling the same way. The reason why I wanted to start this new topic is to provide you my opinion on whether or not you should start working with a trainer...and then open up the topic to everyone else's opinions and experiences as well.

I can honestly say that my use of MFP AND using a trainer has made the difference for me!
- I work with a trainer 2 times a week for 30 minutes each session.
- You have to find the right trainer! The one the gym assigns to you may not be the right one for you.
- The right trainer LISTENS carefully to your goals, spends time assessing your current status and plans out a program to meet your goals. They do not give you the exact same program they give to all 20 of their other clients.
- When you are training, they are completely focused on YOU. They are not chatting with others in the gym and you should never see their cell phone in their hand while they are working with you (unless, unfortunately, they are calling an ambulance!).
- You must feel trust and comfort with your trainer. You are paying them to look at, critique, and help you change your body. You must be comfortable (not stimulated!) with them touching areas to show you where an exercise should be working and how it should feel. You need to be able to trust them to do this respectfully.

If you get these things in a trainer, you need to give them in return:
- Pay them on time. Many are independent contractors. Your late payment can mean their late rent.
- Be on time for your appointment. Dressed, warmed up and ready to go by your start time.
- Trust them to know how much to push you. If they say "give me one more", try your absolute best to do it, even if your mind is screaming "I can't!". Give your best...always.
- Leave YOUR cell phone in the car or the locker.

I'm sure others will add a lot more ideas to this topic but this is what I think is the bare minimum for a successful training relationship. If you aren't getting this, don't be afraid to ask for a change in trainers.

Also, remember that the one trainer that everyone else seems to want may not have the time to devote to you that you deserve and are paying for. A new trainer with no client list may be the right match for you because they will be willing to devote their efforts to you.

Hope you all meet your goals!!