Nervous about C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Something my sister does that I think is really great is she'll run for two minutes and then walk for a minute to catch up, then slowly increase her running times and decrease her walking times. Also, if you are having problems getting enough air on your in breaths, make sure your shoulders are back in a comfortable position. You might want to lean forward -- 'into the run' but then you are compressing your lungs, decreasing the amount of good air you are taking in.

Lifting your arms up above your head to catch your breath helps expand your chest and increase your intake capacity. It looks kinda silly, but smile. I was once told by someone that he never wanted to try running because people always look like they are in pain when they do it -- so I try to look like I'm having the time of my life........

:) Good luck, I'm excited for you!!!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Oh, and my other piece of advice is: GO SLOW. Seriously, go at a pace that feels EMBARRASINGLY SLOW. And when it comes to the first time you have to do 20 minutes, GO EVEN SLOWER. You'll feel like a turtle, but you can build up your speed later, once your muscles are stronger.

I second this. I did my C25K training mostly on a treadmill and it was hard to adjust to being outside and not being able to pace yourself. I tried really hard to slow down to what I thought was almost a walk but it ended up being the same speed as the treadmill. Take as much time as you need for each week with C25K training. When I finished the training, I could run 31 min but not complete 5K distance. It took me another month of adding 3 min a week to running to get to running the full 3.1 miles. I am now slowly working on speed.

For breathing, I try to relax and take a deep breath in through the nose and slowly release it through the mouth. One of my patients actually gave me the best information on running - he said running is more mental than physical. I have to agree that if my mind is not on running, I have a hard time getting into it or finishing a long run. I know my body can handle the run, but my mind set has to be there.

Good luck to all of you. Finishing the C25K training has made me very proud.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How bad do you want it?
    I honestly made a symbol out of the 5k in my mind. Me running the 5k was me telling every single person who'd ever called me fat, everyone who'd ever derided or belittled me, every person who'd ever made an off remark, every little voice inside my head telling me I can't - it was my way of telling them, "You're wrong."

It was also my way of showing myself that I could do something I always thought I couldn't do. And I did it.

If you're near a barnes and noble/borders, fine a book called "The Zen of Running." Just sit in the store and read the first chapter over a cup of tea. Put it into practice.

How you motivate yourself is really a personal thing. No two people find motivation the same way I think. But the important thing is that you get out there and do it. Because otherwise you're left with that nagging 'what if' going on in the back of your head.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you can do it! don't worry about repeating weeks if you need to. they will become more comfortable, and almost too easy, and you will know it is time to move on. it took me from june to november to complete the program. i spent four weeks on week one and four weeks on week four and two week on week six. don't look ahead or you'll scare yourself away from even trying. you can do it!

i did two races last year, one for breast cancer and one for prostate cancer. the breast cancer one i walked and ran and my time was 52 minutes. the prostate cancer one i ran all of and my time was 49 minutes. lol. i have been working on speeding up my pace, and am looking forward to doing a 10k in june this year. remember, you can do it! don't give up!
    dawn
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    Well, I did W1D1 last night and I feel great. I actually jumped up and down right out there in the open for everyone to see. I did the breathing like some of you suggested and I did take it slow. Before I knew it I was on my last set of 60 second run.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    That's great. Your on the road to being a runner. :flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    That's wonderful!!!! Keep us posted on your progress. Before you know it, the 9 weeks will be gone and you will graduate:flowerforyou:
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    I was just reading over this thread I made when I first started the C25K. I am so very proud to say that yesterday I finished W5D3. A full 20 minute run. I can not tell you how happy and proud of myself I am. All of your well wishes, advice and encouragement were amazing and thanks to everyone! This is me! I am doing it!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I was just reading over this thread I made when I first started the C25K. I am so very proud to say that yesterday I finished W5D3. A full 20 minute run. I can not tell you how happy and proud of myself I am. All of your well wishes, advice and encouragement were amazing and thanks to everyone! This is me! I am doing it!

Great Job! I am happy for you. The sense of accomplishment is the best gift you can ever give yourself.

Happy Running. :)
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Congrats on getting so far!!!! I run (jog) slowly and couldn't complete a full 5K when I graduated from C25K but I could go the full 31 min. I just kept adding 3 min a week and now can run 4 miles in 55 min. Stick with it and before you know it, you'll be there too.