Oh sugar

rkascak
rkascak Posts: 224 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I always hear people say that the sugar recommendation on this site is low. Mine is 23 grams a day! that seems really low for me, and I always go over! But how much over is too much? Oh and by the way, i get most of my sugar from fruits

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    The sugar recommendations aren't low considering sugar is something that we don't need in our diet, but you don't need to count fruit sugars (from the whole fruit- not juice) or milk sugars toward that total. Sugars in general are something you should try to keep to a minimum.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    I completely agree with those above me, I finally took out the sugar from my calculations (I switched it with iron because I tend to be low on iron) because I would eat an apple and suddently I was negative & red and I didnt like seeing that!
    watch the "added sugars" but dont worry yourself over naturally occuring sugars.

also: brendalee- love the new pic! your hair looks great :)
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Keep in mind MFP does count the sugars in fruit, vegetables and dairy in that goal and even if you aren't eating any other forms of sugar, it's very easy to go over that low number.

Since I don't eat sugar in any form other than fruit (once/twice a day), dairy (twice a day) and veggies, I took sugar off my tracker. It was too distracting for me to see that red number from an undressed salad, some plain low fat yogurt and a serving of unsweetened berries. That IS a healthy meal by any standards.

Our bodies do actually need sugar for proper function by the way, just not in the amounts and forms most Americans consume.
  • gummibaehr
    gummibaehr Posts: 143
    Yep, I changed mine to Fiber. I hated seeing that red number every time I ate a banana! :-P I just try not to eat a lot of refined sugars.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    When you say sugar, are you talking about all carbohydrates? I mean all carbs wind up as glucose in the bloodstream, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what we're talking about specifically.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Yeah... even carrots and lettuce have natural sugar in them... I don't look at mine and am tracking sodium (my arch rival!:grumble: ) in its stead. :flowerforyou: If you know you aren't eating refined sugars (cakes, cookies and sweet drinks) I wouldn't be too concerned. :flowerforyou:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Agree. If it's not added sugar (and you'renot a diabetic) then tracking sugar is a useless game for you. Track sodium and potassium. If you eat lots of fruit, you'll crush your fiber requirement so don't bother tracking that.
This discussion has been closed.