protien shakes/intake

Options
I have become really intrigued with body building and have been doing some reading into the regimes. I take protien shakes but only once a day, is it ok for weight loss to drink them more often than that? I'm tired of going over and not being fully satisfied with my calories.

Replies

• RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I normally only drink them after a workout no need to really drink them on an off day, if you can whole foods than do that, if not grab a shake or protein bar
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    to answer your question, yes it is OK.

However, if you are really into bodybuilding, I think most serious bodybuilders agree that you should get your calories from whole foods if you can. They are helpful to hit a macro in a pinch, but drinking a protein shake isn't going to make you muscular.

I don't even understand this: "I'm tired of going over and not being fully satisfied with my calories"
  • shuga_shay
    shuga_shay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat my regular whole well-balanced meals but I go over my daily calorie intake on what is seeming like a regular basis; so in that regard yes I am unsatisfied. I know it is not a water intake issue because I average about 100oz of water a day. I am not familiar with protein shakes aside from using them after intense workouts, which is why I am trying to become more informed. I am quite aware they are not going to make me muscular lol. I just want to be able to feel full without eating back all of my calories. I am wondering if replacing my two snacks a day to a protein shake or bar would be better.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot too.... I find that incorporating more fiber and protein into my meals helps. I also like the Marathon Energy Snickers bar.... It's delicious and it's dense so I hold onto it longer.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different, but I just don't see how a protein shake is going to make you full but regular food won't.

If feeling full/satiated is your problem, then protein shakes aren't going to do squat. Portion control, willpower, and retraining your body to realize fullness is where your focus should be. If you can cut back on portions for about 2 weeks and not let yourself get "full", then it gets easier, but the first couple of weeks are rough because your body is used to eating larger portions. Give your stomach some time to shrink.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with getting the majority of your protein from shakes. Most shakes like whey isolate have far greater bio-availabilities than any whole food proteins. Therefore the more likely your body is able to utilise it for muscle protein synthesis as compared to something like chicken breast. The amino acid profile is better. However I for one don't feel satisfied after 1 shake, I get hungry so I like to eat food.