Right Type of Workout Shoes?

Hi everyone! :)

I am still a little new to this place and the entire concept of getting fit, lol.

I am trying to get the right type of workout shoes but want to be sure that they meet all my needs. I was wondering if people on MFP have any suggestions? Ultimately, I would like to have the flexibility to use the shoes for any number of activities...namely weight training, gym workouts, hip-hop dance workouts, maybe even running someday (haha).

Also, I should mention...my joints are not the best...so I am definitely looking for good support!

Suggestions? :) Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Those different activities require different shoes. Sorry. For lifting, Converse All Stars.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    I would go with a good pair of cross trainers. (get a nice pair plan on spending $60-$100

If you decide to take up running it is very important to get fitted for a quality pair of running shoes.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    I lift in bare feet (but I lift at home, so I can do that). The rest of it you can probably accomplish with a good pair of running shoes. But if you're lifting heavy weights, you either want to be barefoot or wearing shoes that allow you to still feel the ground under your feet.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Any work out that I do in my house (other than the treadmill) I do barefoot or in socks (in the case of jump roping, it HURTS to hit bare feet with the rope)
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    The problem is that for the best support, you're going to need different shoes for each activity. Now, you can probably get by at first - but you have to be careful. For hip-hop, dance or Zumba type things you're going to want something with low tread, so your shoes don't grab the floor and you don't twist a knee. Not a pretty sight. I wear some sort of Nike - sorry, I'm not good with the names. But mainly look for low tread. For running you're going to want good tread to help keep your footing. I use a Reebok flex of some sort. And you can use a cross trainer for bootcamp that type of thing. I use an Under Armour. Can you use a cross trainer for other things? Yes - I used to. However, the more advanced you get, the more you'll want shoes for each sport/activity. Cross trainers were okay when I first started working out. However, now that I'm training for a half marathon and putting lots of miles on them, I need something more specific and supportive for my feet. I used cross trainers when I first started going to Zumba, and it was fine. However, now that I teach it and have to do the moves bigger and more pronounced, I notice when I wear the wrong shoes.

Just wait - as my husband started running more and more he has shoes he runs with outside and shoes he uses to run inside. So if you have a shoe fetish - you have met your heaven! An excuse to buy more shoes!