Your ideal gym environment?

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
We have thread after thread complaining about the reality of globo gyms. What would you change if you could build your own gym?

I believe that we become the people with whom we spend our time and that if we surround ourselves with people who have real goals and are committed to achieving them, we will be inspired to work harder and be better. So here's my idea of the perfect gym setting:

You have to apply to be a member, and as part of that process, you have to write down specific, defined goals (weight loss/gain, fat loss, muscle gain, strength gains, performance-related goals, etc). Current members will review and evaluate your application and determine whether or not to let you join. If accepted, you must show progress toward your specific, defined goals at regular checkpoints, or you don't get to stay.

Oh, and "I want to spend enough time on an elliptical that I can eat chocolate cake for dessert every night," would not be an acceptable goal. In fact, there wouldn't be any ellipticals or treadmills, except maybe a Woodway Curve for sprints. And some AirDynes and Concept2 rowers. Also, no weight machines of any kind. Just free weights (barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc), tires, ropes, chains, med balls, plyo boxes, and some pullup bars. And rings for push-ups. That would cut down on the BS, I think, as the general gym population wouldn't have any idea what to do with any of that stuff.

I'm not saying there isn't a place in the industry for people who just want to exercise so they can eat more or because they have a new dress to squeeze into before their sister's wedding. I just don't want to train among those people because I believe form follows function; if you train yourself to be able to do really kick-*kitten* things, you will look like a person who can do really kick-*kitten* things.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Rows and rows of power racks as far as the eye can see. Iron plates. Bumper plates. Sleds. Tires. Atlas stones.
    No self absorbed idiots in there complaining about the occasional grunt or clank of plates being sat down on the ground.

Maybe like, one or two treadmills just because.

I'll call it Squat Club.

And the third rule of Squat club is... If it's your first day at squat club, you have to squat.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lots of benches, squat and power racks, deadlift platforms, bumper plates, barbells, dumbbells, a crossover cable tower, glute\ham raise and hyperextention "machines" (benches?, thingies?)

No other pulley machines or even smith machine. I;m pretty sure that this setting would make it so that membership apps would not be required. Only certain types would go to such a gym.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There would probably be 20 squat racks so there is never a wait, but most importantly I just would want lots of members, but people who are well versed on gym manners... not getting weird if people want to work in, reracking your weights, wiping down equipment. Other than that, it would be fun to have people who could banter with each other without getting too distracted from working out. You also would feel comfortable asking anyone to spot you, etc. What a dream, lol.