Any cyclists out there?

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
I went to my first spinning class last night and it was a really great workout and a total blast!

But today my booty is REALLY sore from the seat. How do you prevent this? Does it just get better over time? I don't really have the money to buy expensive cycling gear like padded shorts, especially since this will be something I'll only be doing a couple times a week max.

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hi. I bike a fair amount and I used to do a lot of spinning. I find that the first time on my bike after a long time off the bike, my butt will be sore for the next couple of days. This goes away. It's like your butt bones get callouses on them or something. I do wear padded shorts, but that's only for longer rides of 30 miles or more. I don't think you need any special gear. Just get back on that bike. The soreness should go away soon. If it doesn't you might want to check to make sure things are adjusted properly (the instructor should be able to help).
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It gets better with time. I haven't been on my bike all winter and I don't look forward to the pain that come along with getting readjusted. Other than that, I think they may gel covers you can buy to slip over the bike seat. That might help.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It get's better with time. Plus as your form gets better you'll find that you bounce less and that helps too. Focus on your form now to ensure a nice smooth circle and keep that bouncing to a minimum. It will help a little, the rest is just time and getting used to it. Good luck!
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, the dreaded "bike virgin" pain. Do you feel like you've been used, roughly, by the seat? <chuckle>

It usually only hurts the first time (well, the first time until you don't do it for a long time). It should subside within a few days, then you should be fine.

And congratualtions on the spinning class. My first time was tough to get through (even though I think I'm an OK cyclist).