Looking to buy P90X

Options
Cassia
Cassia Posts: 467 Member
I know a lot of yall use this P90X, is there anything I need to know before I buy? I have already looked at the fitness test to see if I can handle it.
I've also looked at buying it on the beachbody site, but I don't really know what i need to get... I mean, does the "after workout drink" come with it? What about the eating plan? Also, I am testing my self for lactose-intollarance so is the meal plan workable w/ that?
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    First off, if you belong to a gym, there's nothing p90x offers that you can't do in your gym. I find a lot of people buy it b/c they're sold on all the marketing hype that backs this product when in reality, there's really no magic to it. It's a pretty basic program.

That said, if you don't belong to a gym and you like the idea of the product, it is one of the better structured programs out there.

Though you by no means need to follow their supplement or nutrition protocol.
  • wolffe
    wolffe Posts: 3
    Options
    You'll need a set of dumbells or resistance bands, a pull up bar and depending on where you work out, a mat. Yoga blocks are nice to have but you may not need them.

I never used the eating plan, but it does come with the program. I don't think it contains a lot of dairy, so you should be able to work with it. I doubt the workout drink comes with it since they pump it on the DVDs. I've never used their recovery drink. Water works just fine for me, or if I feel like I need it, Gatorade.

It's a great program! Good luck!
  • mattdef11
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm very sceptical about any product that claims to "transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days"

Ripped takes A LOT weights and exercise - and real effort to get body fat down to a minimum - my own personal advice would be to stick to a traditional exercise programme, or if you want to do a weights work, make your own up - if you have an iphone for example there are loads of examples on there

Good luck either way :-)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm very sceptical about any product that claims to "transform your body from regular to ripped in just 90 days"

It's all part of the hype. For them, it's all about tugging on the right emotional strings to trigger a purchase.

For those who like being spoonfed exact routines to follow, there are much worse products on the shelves. I just wish people would be more knowledgeable so that they're buying stuff like this for the right reasons (which would not include the supposed miracle results and secret "muscle confusion" they like to talk about).
  • doughd2
    doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Just thought I'd throw in - it IS possible. My boyfriend went from a little bit of a belly to a six pack in less than 90 days. He worked his butt off and followed the eating plan fairly well when he could. I didn't have quite the transformation, but my heart wasn't in it quite like his.. it just wasn't fun for me.

If you're looking for something to do at home (i have zero interest in going to a gym) then this can definately work.
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Bump

I was thinking about getting it myself...
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I want to do this program but I'm waiting until late fall.......spring and summer are coming up and I don't want to spend 1 to 1.5 hours a day inside when I can run, hike, and swim!!!!! Good luck to you.
  • ninamaxine
    Options
    Doughd2: Just curious - I'm starting this tomorrow and wonder what you mean by 'your heart wasn't in it' . . . did you do the whole program but maybe with less effort or resistance? Skip days? I'm not sure what to expect and am just trying to get an idea.

I'm a huge fan of the 'spoon-fed' approach. If I haven't thought of what to do at the gym on any given day, I'm likely to do nothing at all. I'm pretty sure I can remember to push the button though!
  • Swing4fence51
    Options
    If you buy it on the Beachbody site, you know you are getting an authentic set. There are a lot of copied versions out there. As for things to buy to get started is some form of resistance (bands, weights). I personally use resistance bands and I recommend buying them from Beachbody. The quality is really good and when you are pulling a huge rubber band towards your face, quality matters. If you want to buy a pull-up bar, the easiest ones are the ones that hang on the door frame. I would look on Amazon or Ebay for that. It should be cheaper on those sites. The post workout Results Formula drink does not come with the program unless there is a new offer. It tastes pretty good and I felt that I recovered better following the exercises. It does get expensive and the orange flavor is the only flavor they have so that got old after a while. I personally do not follow the meal plan. I modified my diet the best I could. Having two young kids takes away from quality cooking time. Good luck with your decision. I just passed the 1 year mark with P90X and I look forward to it every night.
  • doughd2
    doughd2 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I made it through about 2.5 months.. there was alot of factors with it.. I was working long days outside with a long commute, so getting up at 4am and working out for an hour and a half got old. I'm also just not much for weights and that sort of thing. I think I could've put in alot more effort if I had enjoyed it more. (On the flip side, I started the Insanity program this week, and actually look forward - so far - to getting up at 5am to do it)

I also like the spoon fed approach. Nothing to think about - just do it.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great reply!!
    I am actually not expecting to be "transformed in 90 days" at all. I have an extreamly hard time losing weight, so i don't think this is just going to make the pounds come off, but it does seem to be very well structured and a good hard workout.
    I don't belong to a gym, I would take me 45 mins to get to the nearest women's gym, so my basement does the trick. I have been doing a weight routine for about a month (i have plenty of dumbells but no pull-up bar), but i would really like something more structured and challanging.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the 'spoon-fed' approach. If I haven't thought of what to do at the gym on any given day, I'm likely to do nothing at all. I'm pretty sure I can remember to push the button though!

Haha, fair enough. Trust me, you aren't alone. Heck, I make a living b/c people want to be told exactly what to do. I'm a personal trainer. :)

I just like to throw out objective advice and play devil's advocate.

Plus, I despise the marketing this industry uses. But that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Best of luck!
  • kyp90x
    kyp90x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    P90X is a great program if you have the time and dedication. My husband and I did follow the program including the meal program with substitutions since I only eat fish and not other meat. The meal preperation was time intensive but the food was good. We also used the recovery drink which was awesome and worth the money. I really think the recovery drink helped me stick with the program. Good luck. The program works if you follow it.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would like to give an opinion of someone who is trying it. Yes I believe the program works as advertised, but advertised means doing all the routines, bringing it to your workouts and following the suggested nutrition plan (I don't believe this means following the exact meals but following the prescribed ratio of carbs, protein and fat).

The program brings
    1. structure to a workout (warmup, workout, cooldown)
    2. motivation to press harder or to take breaks if needed.
    3. variety (cardio, yoga, stretching, strength / muscle building)
    4. Different variations, Lean program, regular, and Doubles for those in need of more.

You will need as suggested earlier, dumbbells or resistance bands, pullup bar (although resistance bands can be used), yoga blocks and mat are optional.

You don't need the extra recovery drink and other supplements but with every other workout whether it's at a gym or home you might want protein powder, vitamins and some form of recovery drink.

I believe this program works, I am on Day 58 of it and have seen some great improvements. Would I have got this from going to the gym, maybe but the motivation to spend all the extra time of going to the gym might not have been there. I can do this workout in my home at the time of my choosing. It does take dedication to do the 60 minute to 90 minute workouts 6 days a week.

With all this said, you need to be prepared to put the effort in, as with all exercise programs in order to see results. Most people it seems quit the program after a few weeks, I for one am going the full 90 days and then more because I love the results I get.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    The program brings
    1. structure to a workout (warmup, workout, cooldown)
    2. motivation to press harder or to take breaks if needed.
    3. variety (cardio, yoga, stretching, strength / muscle building)
    4. Different variations, Lean program, regular, and Doubles for those in need of more.

That it does.

It also brings introduces progressive overload, which is inherent in any routine that "works."

My original point, which I want to highlight just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, is ALL PROGRAMS that are built upon the fundamental principles work. You can find them in books, DVDs like this one, from worthy personal trainers, and for free on the Internet. They're supply is endless.

I think this is an important point to stress b/c while some people are certainly buying the program for the right reasons (which are, they like the structure, spoon feeding, the trainer and the motivation he brings to the table, etc), there are others out there who buy this product b/c they think it delivers something other properly stuctured programs don't - which is false.
  • digger61084
    digger61084 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am almost half way done with the 3 month P90X routine. The first month in I lost 12 pounds and 2 inches from my waist. I have not followed the diet plan exactly, just counting calories on this site. I did not buy it thinking I would go from 28% body fat down to ripped in 90 days. I bought it because it was a nice mix of cardio and muscle training. I get a good pump on the muscle days and am very sweaty when done with the cardio days. If you want a program that is well rounded, this would work for you. All routines, except Yoga, are 55-60 minutes start to finish. There is no gym in my town, so I love the idea of being able to get a great workout done in under an hour. I would be looking at close to 2 hours if I was to drive to a gym. Just like any exercise program, it is all about the effort you put into the workouts. For the cost of a few months at a gym, I have a solid workout I can do at home while my kid naps. I bought mine through Amazon along with a pull up bar and bands. The bands are nice, but if you have 400 bucks to blow, I would get the adjustable dumbbells... I am saving up for them..
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    well results here are from this great site !!! my floor for the first year and the gym for 30 -45 min if with my boys most time 20 min and still use the floor (situps ,pushups and planks ) about 5 min so look before buying anything talk to people on this great site
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i belong to a gym and the big benefit of P90x to me is having a structured program that is by no means routine from day to day. The other benefit (And larger one to me) is that as part of my time management I no longer have to waste time driving to and from the gym, dealing with gym bags/clothes etc.. It may not seem like much, but that extra 30 minutes of peripheral time you end up using going to the gym is time i'd rather be working out or hanging out at home.

At home workouts are usually hard to do with intensity, the structure of p90x makes it hard to do without intensity and I totally feel like I don't ever need to go back to the gym as a result. I'd highly recommend spending the 140$ on this first and see if it works before paying to solicit any other professional 'gym' advice.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what this is. I belong to a gym and love using the elliptical. I do kettlebells at home. What ever you find that works to get you moving is great.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    First off, if you belong to a gym, there's nothing p90x offers that you can't do in your gym. I find a lot of people buy it b/c they're sold on all the marketing hype that backs this product when in reality, there's really no magic to it. It's a pretty basic program.

That said, if you don't belong to a gym and you like the idea of the product, it is one of the better structured programs out there.

Though you by no means need to follow their supplement or nutrition protocol.

For me, I was a member of a gym for over 2 years and was going nowhere fast. I just didnt have the knowledge or willpower to really do what I needed to do to get where I want to be! I am on day 48 of P90X and have seen great results so far. It was the best choice for me because there is no guess-work involved. Do the workouts as instructed and you WILL see results. I don't follow the nutrition plan exactly but do have my MFP settings set to reflect the P90X ratios.