always sleepy (from eating?) - thoughts?

muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always felt like I had more energy and stamina when I ate less and eating made me lethargic, sleepy and well.. frankly - lazy. So, I've been here for a couple of weeks, totally improved my diet, have fallen anywhere from 800 cals to 1800 on a given day (I'm looking for the right "spot") and folks have even convinced me, as of yesterday, to eat breakfast. You'd think I'd feel really super good about all this.

I'm tired.

Always tired. Always sleepy. I slept 10 hours between last night and today. I don't sleep that much unless I'm sick. And I want to go back to bed and sleep another 10. Nope, I'm not coming down with anything. I'm still trying to get in my meager capacity of 5-10 minutes of exercise - and then I want to sleep even more.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm clueless. I know it doesn't logically stand up - I'm just stating how I feel and hoping someone might have a plausable explanation.

Replies

• i went to see a nutritionist lately who informed me that i wasn't getting enough calories.... I don't know what your weight is but if you're really only getting 800, thats probably not enough... Try adding more protein and fiber to your diet-- these will help you stay full longer and usually carry more full calories rather than empty calories that leave you feeling hungry and don't offer much energy.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    :flowerforyou: You may want to see a doctor. My mom was tired all the time and ended up with some health issues. Being tired was part of the symptoms with many other symptoms, I don't want to sound scary :laugh:

I sometimes get alittle tired after I eat certian foods. Large amounts of carbs and sugar make me want to sit on the couch all day and sleep! Which is what I've been eatting all day, (bad Angie, bad! my little side note: I'm not having the best day, but it makes me laugh) Anyway, try to make a mental note of how certian foods make you feel.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247

This is an oxidizer test - you might find the answers you seek here... foods react differently for people. I know I took it and have changed my eating focus. It may help you. :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Maybe look at getting blood work done to see if you have any issues such as diabetic, anemic, vitamin or mineral deficiency, have a thyroid issue etc.
  • well wen u eat u normally get sleepy especial if u ate alot try not to eat to much .....lol i just ate lunch n umm im practicaly fallen a sleep
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    If you're trying to find the right spot, I would suggest looking up articles online about your BMR and TDEE calories: resting and activity level calories. That's what I did to find out why I wasn't losing anything. I wasn't eating enough. 1200 recommended for me by MFP wasn't enough. So I took all these different calculations and tested websites to see what I should be doing to maintain and lose this weight.

As for being sleepy. That could be a range of things. I would keep some sort of a journal and note the days, how long and such and take that to your doctor. Is it your TOM? I get really fatigued around that time. Hormonal changes, etc, can do that as well.

As for eating breakfast, I am a firm believe this is the best thing you can do for yourself. It's the meal to start your day. I make breakfast and lunch the most important meals - eating up most of my calories for the day and smaller meals for dinner. Maybe try some more lean protein in your meals. Watch the refined carbs (cereals, snacks, etc) that can leave you with sugar highs and crash.

Hope this helps!
  • muth3rluvx2
    Maybe look at getting blood work done to see if you have any issues such as diabetic, anemic, vitamin or mineral deficiency, have a thyroid issue etc.

Nope - had blood work done in Nov. for life insurance. High cholesterol but that's it.
  • muth3rluvx2

This is an oxidizer test - you might find the answers you seek here... foods react differently for people. I know I took it and have changed my eating focus. It may help you. :flowerforyou:

Thanks dvvork! Accordian to our good pal Jillian, I'm slow. (har har). I've been a huge huge coffee drinker and what I've noticed over the last few days is I'm drinking less. Alot less. Like, I automatically put in 2 cups for the morning but it's taking me all day to get to finishing 2 cups. I haven't had a refill yet (making one now!) and always feel a bit better when I have some - but I just don't NEED it like I did before - and guess what, I'm eating pretty much exactly like she's suggested! Lots of fruits and veggies, low on the complex's and higher on proteins than fats (look at my diary). So I guess I'm doing exactly what my body needs me to.

Maybe I'm not eating enough - but its always right after I eat that I get the most tired. I'll keep at it for another week and see what happens. Its comforting to know I'm eating what I should be for my metabolic rate but good grief... I'm really struggling with getting this right, for me.

Thanks everyone for all the input and ideas!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308

Thanks dvvork! Accordian to our good pal Jillian, I'm slow. (har har). I've been a huge huge coffee drinker and what I've noticed over the last few days is I'm drinking less. Alot less. Like, I automatically put in 2 cups for the morning but it's taking me all day to get to finishing 2 cups. I haven't had a refill yet (making one now!) and always feel a bit better when I have some - but I just don't NEED it like I did before - and guess what, I'm eating pretty much exactly like she's suggested! Lots of fruits and veggies, low on the complex's and higher on proteins than fats (look at my diary). So I guess I'm doing exactly what my body needs me to.

Maybe I'm not eating enough - but its always right after I eat that I get the most tired. I'll keep at it for another week and see what happens. Its comforting to know I'm eating what I should be for my metabolic rate but good grief... I'm really struggling with getting this right, for me.

Thanks everyone for all the input and ideas!

I took this test also! I was trying to remember who on here told me about it:laugh: This really did help me out as well!
This discussion has been closed.