Bikram as cardio alternative during injury?

Options
I think I may have overdone it in the gym the past couple of weeks and now my hip is bothering me. I have a history of hip injury, so I want to be cautious and give my hip time to rest and heal, but at the same time, I don't want to not work out for a few days, as I don't want to lose momentum. So, I thought yoga might be a good alternative to the elliptical, stair climber, rower, etc. that I've been doing.

As it works out with my schedule, about the only yoga class I can find tonight is a bikram class. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on whether bikram yoga would be good or bad for a hip injury? I have never done bikram before and I have no idea what it's like.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you give it a try and decide for yourself. My wife and I have been doing Bikram yoga for about a month and a half and it is now our primary activity. I kept hurting my knees running, among other aches and pains getting in the way of my progress. I have Bikram to be strengthening and restorative to my joints. If you feel hip discomfort in any of the postures you just don't go as far into them. Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Bikrim will have the same effect on your hip as the other disciplines. Whether that's good or bad is impossible to say. Try it and see. Bring two towels, plenty of water and dress so that you can easily get semi naked.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Bring two towels, plenty of water and dress so that you can easily get semi naked.

Sounds like a good Saturday night in!