Over Running

I did a 30 min run yesterday a 40 min run today and want to do maybe a 20 min run tomorrow morning before work but im worried its too much. I do not have any aches or pains or anything just want to up my exercise is it bad to run this often? I am so rubbish I only run a bit faster than walking pace and only end up doing about 3.5k in 30 mins or so. Opinions please :)

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Well it's not clear whether you're a beginning runner or more advanced - and how many miles you've built up to per month. It really depends on you and what level you're at.

I typically run 4-5 days and average 9-20 miles per week.

Your body does need rest and recovery.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Personally I wouldn't run for more than 2 days in a row, even though you feel good your body needs a rest. Maybe go for a brisk walk or a swim instead.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    How long have you been running? If you've just started up, then easy does it (meaning probably not a good idea to run 3 days in a row).
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Ive been running small distances for about 6 months now on and off. Thank you for your opinions guys I really appreciate it :)
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    ... I do not have any aches or pains or anything

A good indication that things are going well and you can add a bit.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I did a 30 min run yesterday a 40 min run today and want to do maybe a 20 min run tomorrow morning before work but im worried its too much. I do not have any aches or pains or anything just want to up my exercise is it bad to run this often? I am so rubbish I only run a bit faster than walking pace and only end up doing about 3.5k in 30 mins or so. Opinions please :)

Ah, but I think you're doing this right. If you're not feeling any pain, discomfort, or exceptionally sore muscles then you're just fine running 3 days in a row. You should probably take a day or two off every week as a rest day but there's nothing wrong with filling the rest with exercise as long as you're not doing anything crazy.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    When your toenails fall off, maybe you're over running.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Keeping running to under 15 miles / week unless you're training for a marathon.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member

By that time you're a total addict and won't have the mental clarity to know you're doing too much. I bruised one a few weeks ago but that's not an indication that I should slow down. The toe is still there. I'm good right?
  • Duck_Puddle

Nah-that means you hit the sweet spot lol
  • Duck_Puddle

Nah-that means you hit the sweet spot lol
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    From what you say it sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't run more than 3 days in a row as, like others have said, you're body needs the recovery time to improve itself.

Having said that I don't see how a short jog is much worse than a brisk walk and I know when you've got a lot to lose then people do run 5/6 days a week and see positive results.

I'm sure with your 6mths behind you you'll be fine. Obviously any twinges mean to slow it down a little.
  • Duck_Puddle
    I bruised one a few weeks ago but that's not an indication that I should slow down. The toe is still there. I'm good right?

You're good-check the groin pain thread from earlier today...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As a former runner who has re-introduced himself to running, I'm only running 3 days per week, every other day...I just go for a good brisk walk on the days in between to keep myself moving. This will change once my level of fitness goes up, but it's a good place to start for me.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member

Ah, but I think you're doing this right. If you're not feeling any pain, discomfort, or exceptionally sore muscles then you're just fine running 3 days in a row. You should probably take a day or two off every week as a rest day but there's nothing wrong with filling the rest with exercise as long as you're not doing anything crazy.

^^What he said. Listen to your body. Some people can run every day with no problem, others need breaks. I did a half marathon Sunday, ran 7 miles yesterday and 6 today - nothing's broken as far as I can tell.
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Thank you for all the support guys :)
    You are all such an inspiration I cannot wait to run my 10k !
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    A couple of rest days a week is essential for your muscles to repair and to restock wth glycogen. Rest is as important as activity. You'll know, however, when you're starting to overtrain, as you'll be feeling more tired, more lethargic, maybe some aches and pains, and maybe a little less enthusiastic to go out running. The more you train, the more you'll get to know yourself. But never run through injury and never run through a bad pain - running through some little aches and stiffness is usually fine as long as you stretch afterwrds.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

Now that is CRAZY talk!
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member

Now that is CRAZY talk!

I second that. 15 miles a week? I try to do at least 30 a week, and that's definitely not a lot compared to what other runners do.

Now I'm not saying you should go crazy in the beginning... but if you slowly up your mileage, you're TOTALLY fine doing fifteen miles and more.
  • Duck_Puddle

Now that is CRAZY talk!

I second that. 15 miles a week? I try to do at least 30 a week, and that's definitely not a lot compared to what other runners do.

Now I'm not saying you should go crazy in the beginning... but if you slowly up your mileage, you're TOTALLY fine doing fifteen miles and more.

I third this. I'm not training for a marathon and I run 20-25 miles a week. I'm not training for anything really-that's just the amount that keeps me happy (and burns off most of my poor food choices).