Struggling with Sugar

Options
Don't have any self control when I have any kind of sugar. I have tried the "snack size" and end up having several. I don't know what to do. Help :grumble:

Replies

• kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Many of us have a sugar addiction. Unfortunately, we have to eat and the sweetness tempts us. I find if I need something sweet, if I stick to the sweetness of my favorite fruits it helps. Try to avoid processed foods with sugars, candy, baked goods, etc. If you can avoid it for a day or so, it will get easier, but once you give in, you probably will want more (the sugar addiction) If can avoid it for a little while, it seems the body detoxifies and the desire is not as great. Hang in there, I know it is hard, but you can do it.
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Many of us have a sugar addiction. Unfortunately, we have to eat and the sweetness tempts us. I find if I need something sweet, if I stick to the sweetness of my favorite fruits it helps. Try to avoid processed foods with sugars, candy, baked goods, etc. If you can avoid it for a day or so, it will get easier, but once you give in, you probably will want more (the sugar addiction) If can avoid it for a little while, it seems the body detoxifies and the desire is not as great. Hang in there, I know it is hard, but you can do it.

Thanks. I have been trying to detox. I do well for a couple of days and breakdown and binge.
  • bbarrjr
    Options
    I have read recently, that a craving for sugar is actually a craving for Vitamin C. All mammals produce Vitamin C except for humans.
  • CrazyAnne
    Options
    I have read recently, that a craving for sugar is actually a craving for Vitamin C. All mammals produce Vitamin C except for humans.

Interesting. Will check this out. Thanks!
  • katies71123
    Options
    I trick myself into thinking I'm having sugar by having "no sugar added" sweet stuff like a Popsicle or sugar free hard handy. Seems to do the trick! My new addiction is the sugar free sour berry ice breakers. =)
  • CrazyAnne
    Options
    I trick myself into thinking I'm having sugar by having "no sugar added" sweet stuff like a Popsicle or sugar free hard handy. Seems to do the trick! My new addiction is the sugar free sour berry ice breakers. =)

Will try that out, thanks!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    If you do have to have sugar try the natural sugar (sugar in the raw) or honey. I found when I quit using the normally processed sugar I craved it less. It takes a minimum of a week to not crave it and a week or so longer for the brain to not think you need it. I haven't had any sugar added to foods for a few weeks now and it does get easier.

When I do feel the need I try fruit or juice.

Be aware though that sometimes you may get a headache as you come off of it. Or at least I did. Feel great now.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You may just have to get rid of all of it in the house. Enlist someone's help to hide it, if you can't get rid of it all. If you can make it 2 days without any sugar, it will get much easier to resist.