Non-stick sprays, etc...

Options
Hello! I just wanted to see what everyone uses in their pans to make things like omlettes not stick to the pan. I normally just used margarine, but I'm realizing that's costing me 70 calories each time. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Mostly a really good quality Teflon pan from IKEA. I used to use a spray oil but the bottle clogged and I got out of the habit.
  • LFields620
    LFields620 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do have a good non-stick pan, but I still like to have something in the bottom of it when cooking. What type of spray did you use and was it low/no calorie?
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the sprays. I use a silicone brush to spread little bit of peanut or coconut oil on a non-stick pan.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I usually cook bacon first and then use the bacon grease.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Get a MISTO! Best kitchen gadget I've bought in a long time.

You put the oil of your choice in the canister and pump it up, then spray just like one of the store bought sprays. It can be used for salad dressings as well.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I usually cook bacon first and then use the bacon grease.

This is what I do also..;)
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Misto! Best wedding present EVER!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Get a MISTO! Best kitchen gadget I've bought in a long time.

You put the oil of your choice in the canister and pump it up, then spray just like one of the store bought sprays. It can be used for salad dressings as well.

That's what I use with olive oil. Most of the time I cook with coconut oil.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Pam, the canola version
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil 1 cal spray is great!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Use a teaspoon of butter @30 cals. instead of a tablespoon @ 100 cals. To me, it's worth the cals.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I usually use extra virgin olive oil, and use a nickel to quarter sized amount. I used to use sprays until i realized the calorie count is based off one fourth second of a spray so by the time you've covered the bottom of a pan well do the math based on the spray you use.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Depends on *what* I'm spraying-
    non stick pans are supposed to be just that- non stick= and I learned the hard, expensive way- ignoring that and using sprays (especially cheaper versions) causes the coating to peel off and void the warranty.

If I want some oil and want to forgo the extra fat/calories
    I'll use I can't believe it's not butter spray
    for things such as eggs.
  • dowen1027
    Options
    I usually use Smart Balance spray. I think it has no calories (I don't log it, so I am not positive) and it works well.
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of Pam organic spray - just enough to make it not stick.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Transition to cast iron. Seasoned properly, cast iron is non stick and so much better for you than the teflon type coatings or cooking sprays. Most cast iron converts also think the food cooked in cast iron tastes better and I'd have to agree!
  • dowen1027
    Options
    Transition to cast iron. Seasoned properly, cast iron is non stick and so much better for you than the teflon type coatings or cooking sprays. Most cast iron converts also think the food cooked in cast iron tastes better and I'd have to agree!

I agree. I am in the process of transitioning to cast iron - we only have about 4 cast iron pans right now, so i still have to cook in regular pans sometimes, which is when I use the smart balance spray. But, I do agree that the food cooked is better - I don't notice it so much in taste as much as the texture, if that makes sense. Things seem to cook more even and not be as dried out.
  • LFields620
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the ideas! I just hate eating up that many calories just for my food not to stick. :P
    I'm new to this site, but loving it so far.
  • britneybowen
    britneybowen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pam has no calories at all. I use it for everything not to stick. :)
  • LFields620
    Options
    Pam has no calories at all. I use it for everything not to stick. :)

Awesome. It will be on my list for next shopping trip. :)