Is it normal?!

Ever since I started working out (5 days a week) and eating a healthier diet, I've become an insomniac! BLAH! It can take me up to 2 hours to fall asleep and then when I do finally fall asleep, I only sleep in hour increments most of the time. Why is this happening?! I went from getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night to maybe 4-5 if I'm lucky.

Replies

• WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    What time of day are you working out? Exercise is a natural "stimulant" releasing adernaline and endorphins...
  • What time of day are you working out? Exercise is a natural "stimulant" releasing adernaline and endorphins...

Here is my workout schedule:
    M, T, TH, F - Work out at 5:00 AM when I get up
    T, TH - Run around 4:00 PM
    Sat - Run first thing in the morning
  • it has happened to me too. but it's a new development, like in the last month. before that it was ok - in other words for the last 2 years!
  • I can fall asleep at about 3-4 am and be awake again by 7 because I can't sleep any more.

I like it but I am exhausted. x x
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    I went thru that for a period of time when I was solely doing cardio and then I started lifting heavy, now I sleep like a baby for about 6 hours and then I'm wide awake. I've been blaming it on pre-menopause but maybe there is some connection to eating right and working out.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    I must complete exercise 3 hours BEFORE bedtime, or I have a hard time falling asleep.
    Further, over-training can affect sleep.
    Just be aware of these possibilities, and maybe take a day off to rest.
    Work hard and smart.
    Rest is paramount.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Ever since I started working out (5 days a week) and eating a healthier diet, I've become an insomniac! BLAH! It can take me up to 2 hours to fall asleep and then when I do finally fall asleep, I only sleep in hour increments most of the time. Why is this happening?! I went from getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night to maybe 4-5 if I'm lucky.

I'd always assumed that a late workout -> restless sleep, but ordinarily in some cases, the culprits can very easily be (i) beverage consumption [usually alcohol or excessive hydration] and (ii) what is otherwise interpreted by your body as too large a portion serving over dinner/late snack.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    hmmm. what type of workouts do you do? it seems like you are working out well before you go to bed, so that prolly isn't the problem.
    or now that your body is getting healthier it doesnt need as much rest? do you feel like you are functioning okay with that sleep or are you a zombie? i personally never had problems like that, i used to have insomnia very bad when i was young in middle school, and then again for a period in college when i was depressed and drugging a lot, but i don't believe any of it was work out related. maybe talk to your doc?
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    It happens to me when I workout late...around 8pm...
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    I must complete exercise 3 hours BEFORE bedtime, or I have a hard time falling asleep.
    Further, over-training can affect sleep.
    Just be aware of these possibilities, and maybe take a day off to rest.
    Work hard and smart.
    Rest is paramount.

Wholeheartedly agree ^^^
  • hmmm. what type of workouts do you do? it seems like you are working out well before you go to bed, so that prolly isn't the problem.
    or now that your body is getting healthier it doesnt need as much rest? do you feel like you are functioning okay with that sleep or are you a zombie? i personally never had problems like that, i used to have insomnia very bad when i was young in middle school, and then again for a period in college when i was depressed and drugging a lot, but i don't believe any of it was work out related. maybe talk to your doc?

I am currently doing 30 day shred and I work out on my elliptical the 5:00 AM days and then run 3 days a week.I do feel like a zombie sometimes and have to force myself to be productive. Hating it!
  • lianejg
    lianejg Posts: 4 Member
    It might not be exercising that is to blame. I find that in the past when I started to eat right and exercise, all anxiety and other stuff went away and I was able concentrate on things I couldn't before. Your mind feels like it is waking up and you are excited to get it done. But I found it dificult to unwind. My mind was still racing well into the evening. If this sounds familiar to you, I would perhaps look at finding an activity in the evening that would bring your mental activity down to a more restive level. Some relaxation techniques that would encourage slumber rather than driving it away.