"falling off the wagon"

Options
I was just curious how many people felt they had this problem. I think a am a white/black type of person with very little grey. So when I do good on my diet and toward my goal i do great, but when I mess up for like a week or put some weight back on I feel so guilty and bad at myself for letting that heppen that it is actually sooo much harder for me to start up again because of that, and when I do its hard to shake the guilt especially if you clearly notice the bad changes on your body. I was woundering if any other people had this problem and what they do about it.

Replies

• KD2940
    KD2940 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always feel AWFUL. Like, I think maybe it's actually a bit over obsessive. I'll eat JUST ONE FRICKEN COOKIE, and I just feel so bad that I ate that, that I'll just give up. You're not alone!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. It was so easy at the beginning to give up just because I splurged one time. I found giving myself one cheat day a week helped me splurge less and I learned to forgive myself. I also realised that slipping up once a while doesn't mean I'm doomed. I mean I've lost a lot of weight and Christmas weekend I gained back 15 pounds because I went carb crazy. But then a week later I'd lost most of it.

Your body is constantly fluctuating so one bad day or week won't ruin it. Just be good to you and just focus on getting through the day. Don't worry about the overall goal or anything - just focus on making it through today.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The lesson I'm trying to learn is how to focus on being positive & accepting of myself (and inevitable slip-ups) while maintaining accountability; and remaining accountable without being defeated/hindered by negativity; AND not equating acceptance with apathy. The whole reason I joined MFP was because I slowly, gradually gained weight due in large part to that inbalance between acceptance and apathy (skipping a work-out having a "lazy day", eating garbage and essentially ignoring my body). Like I said, I'm still learning but I'm committed and even when I slip up I just remind myself the only way I can fail is if I give up. Don't give up, set short term realistic goals, celebrate your victories, acknowledge your shortcomings/mistakes learn what you can and then MOVE ON. Keep looking forward and envisioning the life you want to lead, the person you want to be and you will get there.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Yup. What you said. :angry: