What do you do when you are hungry all of the time??

Options
13»

Replies

• tatamin
    Options
    I suggest you try some low GI food. These food helps you stay full longer and release energy into your blood stream slowly.

My secret is pasta with a light spicy tomato based sauce + tuna. Cook the pasta al dente to make it harder to digest, your tummy will stays full longer.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chew sugarless gum. Drink hot tea. Drink water. Eat tic tacs as slowly as possible. Plan a lot of fruit and veggie snacks. Make sure I pack my lunch instead of relying on my "at work eating judgement."

YES! ^this. I have no brains at all when I'm hungry. I can rationalize bad choices when I feel like I'm starving!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am starving after I workout. So I time my workouts before I eat. I have a small carb snack before. Then after if it is not lunch time or breakfast, I will have a protein shake or popcorn. When I first started the program, my body fought me, it wanted more food and it demanded it. It took a little while for it to get use to smaller portions. But it did, until then have small snacks.

You will get there. You have to train your body and make sure you are eating some or all of your exercise calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you set MFP to lose 2 pounds a week? It might not be appropriate for you. Choosing a less amount per week will give you more to eat.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

2 pounds a week subtracts 1,000 calories from your daily need.
    1.5 subtracts 750
    1 subtracts 500
    etc.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I usually have 24 oz of water with every meal and snack which really helps with feeling full. Hot drinks also help when you're feeling hungry!

Make sure you're getting plenty of fiber and you're getting some kind of protein at every meal and snack. That should help! If you haven't tried out whey protein powder - that's a great way to get in tons of protein without meat. I use Dymatize Elite and it really is delicious (I never thought I would ever be a person to like protein powder either!)
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Remember. a lot of this diet thing is mind over fat cells! We didn't get this way by feeling full. lol

Couldn't disagree with this more.

I've failed every other time I've tried to change my habits around because I used to let myself get hungry, then I'd feel awful and end up giving up.I eat several small meals and snacks a day, not getting overly hungry is definitely why I'm succeeding this time.

Sounds like you would need a lot of calories to get through your very active day, you're awake and up and at it for long stretches of time. Calculate your bmr. When i was eating below mine i felt awful and wasn't loosing consistently. Have a look at my diary (I'm no angel and took two weeks off eating at maintenance over Christmas) and maybe if yours was open people could help you more?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only times I get hungry is if I don't eat enough, or if I don't get enough fats and protein. Double check your calorie goal against your TDEE and try to get 1g of protein per pound of LBM and 0.35g fats per pound of body weight.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body is telling you something -- like maybe you're not getting enough calories. I used to be an ovo-lacto vegetarian (many years) and I went on weight watchers and felt hungry all the time. Looking back, I realized I was exercising a lot and was most likly not eating enough. I'm no longer a vegetarian and I have to admit, the protein helps you feel fuller. Also I'm eating more calories and don't feel deprived. I suggest rethinking your caloric intake. There is not enough gum, tea, and water to make how you're feeling sustainable over the long haul.
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    i feel like that and tbh the only thing that has quelled it has been a glass of milk.high protien and low cal if skinny or half fat version. try it. and if still hungry drink more water. please remember you are not in any way a failiure. you just need/ed more information that you dont have yet.xxxx
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    usually a normal person eats ... listen to your body . if u hungry u must eat , if u thirsty u must drink , if u needa pee u must pee !!!!

I get my melons from the melon patch. And when I'm itchy, I scratch.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein work best for me as far as satiety. Another thing you might consider is to have higher calorie goals on those days when you know you'll want to eat more. Then you can compensate by eating less on days when you're less hungry.

I also disagree with the idea that you need to be hungry to lose weight. I've lost all of my weight while never feeling hungry. If you're genuinely hungry and not just eating out of boredom, then you need to eat. Just pick something low calorie and filling. The test for me is to ask myself whether I'd be happy eating veggies or a can of tuna. If the answer is yes then I'm hungry. If the answer is no then I just want to eat something, in which case I'd have a cup of tea or a glass of water.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I can't say about healthy fats.

I started incorporating a half or a whole avocado to my breakfast... and I'm comfortable for 5-6 hours. Breakfast at 5:15-5:30 and lunch is not until 11:30.

My breakfast is 2 eggs over easy, 1/2 to 1 avocado (70-140g), 50g-112g 2% Fage Plain Greek yogurt with a drop of honey, and 1-2 servings frozen broccoli (warmed in the pan I'm going to cook my eggs).

Then lunch is chicken (I know you're a vegetarian but the protein is what I'm listing here) and some vegetable (varies) and a half cup of Fage 0% or 2% Green yogurt with 1/2 serving of honey and 2 Tb. ground flax seed and maybe some berries.

I'm good until dinner at 4:30-5pm - most days. I always have an apple or banana with me just in case.

FAT seems to be the key for me. All people are different - but for me, I'm listening to my body.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I didn't read previous comments, but my body is pretty much on a timer. Regardless of how much I eat at one meal, I am guaranteed to be hungry 3-4 hours later. I am a firm believer in snacking between main meals, not only does it satisfy hunger but it also keeps your metabolism working. As long as the snack are light its cool.

It also takes time to retrain your mind as to what hunger really is. Are you hungry or are you just used to eating ALL the time. Give yourself time to get used to your new diet. Also make sure the food you are eating is nutrient dense and not junk. Protein and fiber are great ways to keep hunger down.

PS When I'm hungry and I know I should be I try to stay busy and far from the kitchen lol hope that helps.
  • clh4him
    Options
    see below
  • clh4him
    Options
    When I am tired, I am famished. I packed on a ton of weight when my kids were younger and I was sleeping three or four hours a night on a good day. Now i still get that way on occasion, and it is my reminder to walk away from the laundry and head to bed.

Wed 01/09/13 10:27 AM
    Wow, your words are so true...I am encouraged by your post because I find myself in the same situation...When I feel extra hungry I will try to remember to ask myself if I truly need more food or am I really tired. My kids are older now, but I still only sleep a few hours a night, so I think I just need to give myself permission to nap at times. This could be just as important as staying under my calorie totals in the grand scheme of permanent weight loss!
  • Luv108
    Luv108 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow lot's of good advice, thanks all! I have been trying for 1500 calories, but tend to eat more by the end of the day, maybe I just need that much? Or maybe it is because my job is super boring, just me and a 1.5 year old all day, mostly it is the same thing over and over at her age, so it gets tedious and boring! Well, I tried having tea today, that helped for sure! And I went out and got some whey powder, I'm going to try that tomorrow!
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hot tea always fills me up when I feel like munching & if I really am hungry after that, I'll have some baby carrots, celery or an apple.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    I'm not sure what everyone has suggested but I make a big batch of Weight Watchers cabbage soup and eat it when I feel like eating but know that I shouldn't.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956