Short Girls + Exercise + Calories

Options
SHORT girls who workout, HARD and FREQUENTLY... How many calories do you net?

What has worked for you?

Have you ever stalled and had to up your calories?

Is 1200 still too low for someone who works out almost everyday, despite being 5 foot..?

Any help appreciated from anyoneeee with an insight :heart:

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I'm not a short girl who works out hard and frequently but the link I've posted will take you to a site that will calculate everything out for you so you will know how much to eat.

:flowerforyou:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I use "in place of a road map" as above. Right now I am aiming for 1725 cals, that includes exercise.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks guys, I think I need to eat more. I haven't see changes in a month, its driving me crazyyy! :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My calories are 1600 at the moment. I workout 4-6 days a week. Cal burns range from 300 to 1600. If I do a 600+ burn, I will eat some of them back. When I do, I usually end up eating 1800-2000 cals on these days.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2", 48 yrs old. I burn about 400-500 exercise cals almost every day, so that gets me to about 1600 to 1700 cals to eat most days...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out the link another posted posted that leads to a thread started by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Is that a current picture of you? If it is, I can see why you're not losing, as you look great right now!
  • Willie1274
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and with cleaning up diet from holiday to drop, I'll range 1300 - 1500 cals. I do include a higher and a medium calorie day on the weekend, as I don't want to keep calorie deficit too long. My exercise right now is 4 days strength and 3-4 days cardio. Once I hit my goal weight I'll find my range to maintain and even add some calories as I'd like to gain back strength and muscle. During this stage I'll average more 1600-1800 calories as my workouts progress, but cut back a few days if I feel weight coming back on.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    5ft 1 in girl here :flowerforyou:

My goal is 1200 but after exercise my net is usually down to 9-1000 I see a lot of people on here pound it in your head that you need to make up those calories. I talked to my mom who is a personal trainer (20 yrs exp.) and she doesnt really agree with having to make it ALL up.

Right now, I am just going to do what I do. If I am not finding results then Ill fix it. But I need to give myself time.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0. I follow my Fitbit's calorie suggestion (which is based on my individual stats and activity level). Their suggested consumption is usually 1200 calories per day (sometimes more for an active day, rarely less because chasing a toddler helps keep me at least marginally active). It starts me off at 900 calories for the day and adds on as I become more active. By the end of the day, I am typically netting 900.

Like another poster mentioned, a lot of people on this site really push eating back your exercise calories and, while it is good in theory and a lot of people have had success with it, there are many other programs and sites and doctors/trainers that do not use net calories. It's up to you whether or not to eat them back.

For me, if I'm hungry, I eat, but so far, I've been perfectly pleased at 1200, and I'm actually eating real meals, not rice cakes and Lean Cuisines. Yesterday I had a small bowl of cereal for breakfast; a grilled chicken breast, over a cup of spinach with a tbsp of real butter, and a dozen grapes for lunch; Chinese chicken with broccoli with 1/2 a cup of rice and two springs rolls for dinner; and a k-cup chai latte at the end of the day. I honestly don't even know how I would have eaten more.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", 44yrs old and eat around 1620 daily without exercise. I tend to eat about 75% of my exercise calories back..
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eating back my exercise calories my calorie goal is 1545-1625, giving me a net of 1200, but I'm constantly under goal by 100-200 calories (trying to work on this).

I'm used to eating far fewer calories because before I started paying attention to eating better and exercising I was skipping breakfast and lunch, and only having and after work snack and dinner, and was usually netting about 800 calories a day if that.

Haven't gained but haven't lost either....but I've only been at it for 2 weeks this time. Other times ( I tend to yo-yo) I've noticed it takes a long time to see the scale move. It usually takes me about 3 months to lose 5lbs.

I'm 4'11.5" tall, and am 117lbs.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and workout 6 days a week. My calorie burns are high because I'm heavy, and training for a half marathon (plus, I lift). Anywhere from 800-1000 calories burned a day, according to MFP. However, they way overestimate the calories burned for us big girls. So, I don't eat all of my calories back every day. But, I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day, at least. According to MFP, I net under 1200, but because their calorie burns are off I actually net pretty close to 1200. I double check with my HRM numbers as well every now and then, but I'm lazy and just use the MFP #'s instead of manually putting in my own.

Anyway, long story short: I work out hard, I eat a lot of yummy food, and I lose weight.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Wow thanks a bunch for these replies !!! And I'll definitely check out those links Joylia!

I think I've just gotta figure out what works for me, and clearly netting only 1000-1200 while working out 6/7 days a week isn't working for me anymore.. I need to up my calories!!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • asangh
    asangh Posts: 32
    Options
    I upped mine. I workout 5 times a week min for a hour and burn about 800-1000 calories when I do. It's really hard for me to eat back my calories because I feel like it negates my hard workout. I unwisely decided to ignore advice here and not eat my calories back, leaving me with net calories of 300-600 a day for the last two weeks... I thought I would drop weight like crazy but I only dropped 1 pound. :( I was losing 2-2.5 pounds before that and I was eating so much more. I'm upping my calories back to 1200 net again as of yesterday so hopefully that'll do something.
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    I upped mine. I workout 5 times a week min for a hour and burn about 800-1000 calories when I do. It's really hard for me to eat back my calories because I feel like it negates my hard workout. I unwisely decided to ignore advice here and not eat my calories back, leaving me with net calories of 300-600 a day for the last two weeks... I thought I would drop weight like crazy but I only dropped 1 pound. :( I was losing 2-2.5 pounds before that and I was eating so much more. I'm upping my calories back to 1200 net again as of yesterday so hopefully that'll do something.

Thanks for your input :)
    I'm definitely upping mine, as I have stalled completely.
    I've also been doing too much cardio for my own good.
    This lovely lady is helping me out,.. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
  • mareeee1234
    Options
    Is that a current picture of you? If it is, I can see why you're not losing, as you look great right now!

Aww thank you! But I do have a fair bit of body fat to lose, you can't see it as much in the pic! But trust me, its there! I need to lean upppp!!
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the roadmap that someone posted.

I'm 5'3" and exercise between 1-1.5hrs 5 or 6 times a week. I tried eating around 1300 (not even netting) so I lost weight at first, but then it plateaued and I had a lot of other unhealthy side-effects. Now I try to eat around 1600 (I don't eat back exercise calories since it's already factored in) & weight is steadily falling & I'm not super ravenous & cranky anymore (:
  • devynmariee
    Options
    bump