Wanna help me with a project?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    1. In school (elementary, middle, & high school), were there any Deaf students that you remember? No (In college I took ASL and my teacher was deaf but no one in my lower grades)
    2. Were these students in regular classes with interpreters? or in their own secluded classrooms? n/a
    3 Did you interact with these students? n/a
    4 Do you know if they were involved in any sports or clubs? n/a
    5 Did they every openly sign? If so, how did you feel around the conversation? n/a
    6 Would you have felt odd if you were in a class with a deaf person? No
    7 If you had a child that was deaf or hard of hearing, would you educate them by putting them in a 'mainstream' school, or an all deaf school? Probably mainstream (depending on the school and the support I got there), we had 2 blind kids at my Jr High & High School and they did great.
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    awesome! Thank you!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1. In school (elementary, middle, & high school), were there any Deaf students that you remember? Yes - in High School

2. Were these students in regular classes with interpreters? or in their own secluded classrooms? Regular class - no interpreter

3 Did you interact with these students? Yes

4 Do you know if they were involved in any sports or clubs? Basketball

5 Did they every openly sign? If so, how did you feel around the conversation? Some - Mostly read lips and talked as well as she could. I believe she lost her hearing in her preschool years due to an illness.

6 Would you have felt odd if you were in a class with a deaf person? Didn't feel odd - just when I got reprimanded for relaying to her what we were doing in practice. She didn't see the coach's directions and asked me and coach yelled at me that she was o.k. and didn't need me. Ticked me off!

7 If you had a child that was deaf or hard of hearing, would you educate them by putting them in a 'mainstream' school, or an all deaf school? I would put them in the place I thought they would receive the best education - whether mainstream school or all deaf school.

:) Great questions! Hope I'm not too late and yor project goes well!
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    Not too late at all! Thank you so much!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1. In school (elementary, middle, & high school), were there any Deaf students that you remember?
    There were no fully deaf students at my school, but there was a girl who wore an FM system (when they weren't
    automatically put into classrooms) so that she could have assistance in hearing the teachers.

2. Were these students in regular classes with interpreters? or in their own secluded classrooms?
    She was in a regular classroom.

3 Did you interact with these students?
    Yes, she was in my class.

4 Do you know if they were involved in any sports or clubs?
    Yes, she was as involved to the best of her interests, her hearing impairment didn't stop her from trying anything.

5 Did they every openly sign? If so, how did you feel around the conversation?
    She didn't sign

6 Would you have felt odd if you were in a class with a deaf person?
    No

7 If you had a child that was deaf or hard of hearing, would you educate them by putting them in a 'mainstream' school, or an all deaf school?
    It would depend on the profoundness of the deafness. My father taught at a deaf school for 30 years and I have nothing against them, but I still feel incusion is better as it teaches the deaf individual how to cope and learn in "regular" society and it teachers young non-deaf individuals how to interact with deaf individuals before they can develop prejudices
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I would like to share a signing story I remember from my 2nd grade year. A boy named Andy sat across from me and one day when the teachers were distracted, we had a conversation about a bad word that was said on last night's episode of The Simpsons. He told me the word started with the letter H but my innocent little brain could not think of a bad word that started with that letter. Andy decided to use sign language to spell the word "hell." Well the interpreter saw him spell it and the teacher took him, me and a couple other students into the work closet to figure out what happened and I had to tattle on my friend. The end. lol

bwahahaha!! :laugh: I never knew that story!! What a great use of sign language!!! haha!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I found it interesting that most everyone agrees that trying mainstream schooling (assuming the education there is equal or superior) is the best path. This leads me to believe everyone who has answered believes that being deaf is not a stumbling block for the child, so much that they need to be secluded in a special school where everyone is alike, but rather put into the "real world" and allowing other children to learn about the deaf child's "special language" and allowing that child to realize that while they have an obstacle in life that others do not have (their deafness), that the child is just as capable as the hearing-able children.

I think that is cool. I think it shows the more advanced nature of societal thought.... that others with "differences" are just the same as the rest of us, instead of the thinking from decades and decades ago where those with "differences" needed to be placed in homes, removed from society. Kudos to us!! :drinker:
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    Everyone has a different opinion on schooling for the Deaf child. I, personally, am against mainstreaming the whole time. I would start them off in a School for the Deaf. The Deaf Community has their own culture, I want my child to be exposed to that. The Deaf Community is proud. To them, they aren't disabled. It's who they are. Just like I'm white, someone's black, or mexican, or asian. The Deaf Culture is an AMAZING culture. I want to make sure my child is aware 100% of who they are.

If they get older, and decide the want to try mainstreaming, then I support it!