Looking for VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) Friends

Options

Replies

• ellynleo
    Options
    Hi. My name is Jenna. I had VSG on Aug. 22 2013. I am about 6 months in and I am scared I am doing something wrong. I am having a hard time losing weight and I am really afraid that I have done all of this for northing. So far I have lost abot 80 pounds, but I have about 100 more to go before I am at my goal. I have met other people who have already met their goal after 6 months and after looking at other VSG message boards I am discouraged by my progress. I did start drinking diet soda again, I stay on a high protein low carb diet, and I am still having trouble holding down food (maybe I am stil having a hard time breaking my binge eating habit)? I guess I am really looking for encouragement and guidance to keep me on a losing path. Any suggestions, motivation and advice is welcome!!
  • ellynleo
    Options
    The surgeon at the seminar I attended last night said that we would not be able to drink carbonated beverages again. It causes the sleeve to expand. If the sleeve expands, more food can be consumed. Kind of defeats the purpose. He also said that the first few months would have pretty rapid results, provided you follow the instructions but that it would slow down as your body further adjusts. He also said that it is good for that to happen because it is more likely to stay off. One of the nurses assisting at the seminar has lost 200 lbs and it took her 2 years and she is still losing! She said that following the food rules and exercising is what it takes and that the surgery is not a free ride. Would a person be able to lose 80 lbs. in 6 months on just diet and exercise? I am not sure. I know that I could not. I also know that it took me a whole lot longer than 6 months to gain my weight, so I expect that it is going to take me a good 2 years to get where I want to be.
    I cringe to think that I cannot have a Diet Coke or coffee any longer. My two most favorite things, but if someone offered me a million bucks to give them up, you can bet I would. That is how I am trying to see things. My life to me is worth a million bucks and the sleeve is going to "help" give me my life back.
    I think that you are doing pretty great for the weight that you have lost. I would love to be 80 lbs. down already. Change just one "bad" thing that you may be doing. It might help get it moving again. Best of luck to you!
  • Winefine86
    Winefine86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm pre-op VSG and I'm set to have my surgery March 2014 . I'm up in Dallas but I'd love to meet some people on here that have had the experience of surgery.. I see the support and i believe it is truly needed. Add me :)
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 12/13/13. I could definately use some more sleeved friends. I learn so much by watching how others handle this great tool.
  • jdalwell
    Options
    I am in the process of getting vsg. I would love to have people to join me on my journey. I was scheduled to have rny back in march of 2012 but ended up pregnant luckily for me, my insurance now covers the sleeve. I have already met all my insurance requirements and they told me that none of it expires so I am hoping to have surgery sometime next month or the beginning of april lol fingers crossed. Feel free to add me :) goodluck to everyone.
  • mzpretty713
    Options
    Hiiii Everyone

I'm preparing for my surgery on March 3rd 2014. ....in Tijuana, Mexico. I'm excited and nervous.

I have Hypothyroidism which has caused me to gain and gain. I'm afraid that I wont loose as much as I hope to because of my Hypothyroidism. I currently take 100mg of Synthroid daily....I just pray that this surgery will help me loose & keep it off.
    Like everyone else.....I have tried it ALL to loose and sometimes I was successful. ...but the weight Always came Back because I love Food ????

I'm 195lbs 5ft 2in........
  • 2mouse63
    2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am looking for friends that had the vsg also. I am considering this procedure after being banded in Jan. 2009. Having issues now after four years with my band. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not?
  • jdalwell
    Options
    I've read about a lot of people having revisions from the band to sleeve. Check out Obesityhelp and other sites on the web for more info. Personally if i'd never get a band but if I did have one I'd have kt removed immediately and get a revision to the sleeve. Goodluck!!
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    thank you so much. it does sound like people are more out to get the sleeve than the band. I do need the luck with my progress. I just hope now that the doctor and insurance allow me to have the revision.
  • lamcnutt
    Options
    Friend Me I had the VSG on 7/25/12 I have lost 101 lbs and lots of inches. I have been stalled on loosing lbs but I am still slowly loosing those inches. It is frustrating not seeing the scale move. I still want to loose another 25 lbs.
  • Anipal76
    Anipal76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Elizabeth. I had the VSG on January 20, 2014 and I am looking for friends who have also had the procedure. I have lost about 20 lbs since surgery but have plateaued so I am a little discouraged. Also I am not really able to see the weight loss in the mirror when I look at myself. Others tell me they can definitely see the difference but I still see the weight that I still want to lose. Looking forward to hearing from others about your experiences.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    I have heard that lots of people stall about their third or fourth week. don't be so hard on yourself. You are doing great. We all plateaued until your body gets used to the new sizes and then it will move again. The scale is mean and hateful to us. Look at some other good points like how is your clothes fitting or your engery level vs. that nasty scale.
  • Jean_PA
    Jean_PA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm currently waiting for a surgery date and would love some VSG friends for support. I'm terrified of the stories of people being unsuccessful and would love to hear all your success stories!
  • Ldyblue
    Ldyblue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve done on 5/10/12 and I am down 77 lbs. Please add me to your list of friends.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    High all - there are two groups of Sleevers in the "Community - groups" section. Come on over and join up - great support, people in all stages pre, post, veterans etc..

1) VSGers

2) Sleever's
  • jessx16
    Options
    Hi there! I had my surgery 10-2-2013 and am down 87 pounds... Looking for some support from you all I have hit a stall again..... please feel free to add me :)
  • YourJourneyIsNow
    Options
    Hi! I am waiting for my surgery (scheduled for April 8,2014). I am also looking for a support group as I am nervous and excited at the same time!
  • clarissabigelow
    Options
    A hello everyone!!!! My name is Clarissa and I'm post VSG on 10/30/13. Would really like to have other VSG friends for support and motivation. Please feel free to add me!!!
  • lamcnutt
    lamcnutt Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! you can add me! I had the VSG on 7/25/12 and I have lost 101 lbs
  • LadyAna88
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am PRE-VSG. About to submit to insurance next week, hoping for surgery in the next 6-8 weeks. Add me please :) I need some support with my journey <3