Please Help!!!

Options
I did my calculations and apparently I should be eating 1600-2000 cals a day NOT 1200. How do I or can I adjust my food diary limits so that I can properly track things???? MFP will not change my things and keeps calculating 1200. I am soooo frustrated!!!

Replies

• Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    Under My Home, go to Goals, and look at your nutrition goals. You can set them manually. See if that works!
  • onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you saying MFP calculated wrong? You can manually change them as mentioned above in the other comment but MFP wouldn't have calculated them wrong. Its based on height/weight and weight loss goal I thought.

33905322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did you put in that you wanted to loose 2lbs a week? That screws things up... I have found anyway
  • Zabbie13
    Zabbie13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Click on My HOME (first blue tab next to the orange gymnast at the top of your screen)
    Click on Goals (blue bar under MY HOME)
    Click on the gree button (change goals)
    Click on the second radio button which allows you to customize your goals.
    Good luck!
  • pattiken
    Options
    Hi, when I first started it confused me also. Then I spotted the add your own food and exercise in, you just have to go under each column and fill the in.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I did my calculations and apparently I should be eating 1600-2000 cals a day NOT 1200. How do I or can I adjust my food diary limits so that I can properly track things???? MFP will not change my things and keeps calculating 1200. I am soooo frustrated!!!

Do you have your settings set at 2lbs/week?

Like Corkline said, go to "My Home", "Goals", choose "Custom" and then put your calorie goal into the spot up top.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Yes.... I did 2lbs a week and my time frame was unrealistic. It had be eating 1200 cals a day... but all the other BMR and TDEE calculations are recommending 1600-2000 a day.... plus a higher level of protein etc.... I am freaking out... and unsure what I should be following now...
  • onceuponadream
    onceuponadream Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the Mifflin-St. Jeor equations to estimate your BMR which is believed to be more accurate than the more commonly used Harris-Benedict equation. That may be why it's different than other sites maybe? It doesn't take in to account if you exercise until after you do so, but when you do it adds extra calories to your daily allowance. So if you work out then you will be allotted more than the 1200 per day. If that makes any sense the way I wrote it lol
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Take a deep breath. Now take another one. Better?

Now, If you told mfp you are sedentary and you want to lose 2lbs a week-it's almost inevitable that you'll have a 1200 calorie goal. If you change your weekly weight loss goal to something more reasonable, you will probably end up with a higher calorie goal (as might be true if you change your activity setting-if you set it as sedentary but you really aren't).

Also keep in mind that mfp's calorie goal is a "net" goal. When you do exercise, you "earn" additional calories (to eat). So I have mine set at a 1200 net goal. I will eat about 1800 today and come in under my calorie goal-the bonus calories came from exercise. When I look at TDEE-some percent vs what mfp sets, I get the same number of calories to eat-It's just calculated differently.

So try changing your mfp weekly pounds lost to something reasonable, and log your exercise (and eat up).

And take like 500 more deep breaths. This is a long process-give something a shot (for like a month), if it doesn't work-change it up and try something else. You'll be fine.
  • lindsayjukua
    lindsayjukua Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Take a deep breath. Now take another one. Better?

Now, If you told mfp you are sedentary and you want to lose 2lbs a week-it's almost inevitable that you'll have a 1200 calorie goal. If you change your weekly weight loss goal to something more reasonable, you will probably end up with a higher calorie goal (as might be true if you change your activity setting-if you set it as sedentary but you really aren't).

Also keep in mind that mfp's calorie goal is a "net" goal. When you do exercise, you "earn" additional calories (to eat). So I have mine set at a 1200 net goal. I will eat about 1800 today and come in under my calorie goal-the bonus calories came from exercise. When I look at TDEE-some percent vs what mfp sets, I get the same number of calories to eat-It's just calculated differently.

So try changing your mfp weekly pounds lost to something reasonable, and log your exercise (and eat up).

And take like 500 more deep breaths. This is a long process-give something a shot (for like a month), if it doesn't work-change it up and try something else. You'll be fine.

Thanks for putting it this way - I'm new (again) and this actually makes sense to me! Thanks! :)
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes.... I did 2lbs a week and my time frame was unrealistic. It had be eating 1200 cals a day... but all the other BMR and TDEE calculations are recommending 1600-2000 a day.... plus a higher level of protein etc.... I am freaking out... and unsure what I should be following now...

lets make it more simple. Change from 2lbs a week to 1lb a week. Take this from a person who has already made the mistake. We all want to loose the weight in a hurry but there is a reality here that must be seen. 1200 sounds good, 2lbs a week sounds good, but for A LOT of us, it's not natural and will only make you feel like you've been hit by a truck.