How I do Tuna

Options
253down
253down Posts: 13 Member
I get it backed in water, drain, but leave a little, use lite mayo to hold it all together. Don't have to use as much when you leave a little water. I usually put chopped dill pickles and onions. I do it as a open face sandwich on toasted bread or put is on top of salad greens with a little salt/pepper
For a different taste, I mix is with mayo and put in some grated apple, gives it a totally different taste that is really good.

Replies

• maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Kirkland tuna is really good! I mix wasabi mustard with a little mayo and put it on cucumbers!
  • simplyshrinking
    simplyshrinking Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kirkland Albacore is great. I eat it out of the can, tastes like chicken! :laugh:
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh god a tuna thread. I love canned tuna! Thanks for all the ideas guys :D I usually load it with mayo and pile as much as I can on crackers. Ill eat a whole can (the big one)
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I eat about three cans of tuna a week - the little ones that are 100 calories. It makes a nice low cal meal for me.

I'm probably a little weird with my tuna prep. I like my tuna cold, so I keep the cans in my refrigerator. Then I dump the whole thing out in a bowl, undrained (packed in water, if I accidentally buy the one packed in oil they have to be VERY well drained), and then I cover it with black and cayenne pepper. Usually eat this with some sour cream and onion chips (which is where the low cal thing goes out the window, lol).

On a road trip recently I ate some kind of tuna sandwich that had mayo and squash relish mixed in with the tuna. It didn't quite agree with me really.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Tuna, a tsp of lite mayo, lemon pepper seasoning....roll up the mix in leaves of lettuce and chow the eff down. nomnomnom
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I love the Sunkist Lemon Pepper and Hickory Smoked Tuna pouches. They are my favorite. I eat my tuna a little funny I have to put ketchup on my tuna that's the only way I can eat it. But I love love love tuna!!
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Kirkland tuna is really good! I mix wasabi mustard with a little mayo and put it on cucumbers!

I have never thought about eating it on cucumbers instead of crackers! That is such a good idea! Thanks.

I love Tuna. It makes a great, easy lunch. I mix it with a little Mayo and usually eat it on toasted bread. Yum! It's a great way to get in your fish for the week.
  • tapeneri
    tapeneri Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Kirkland's Albacore, too. I like diced celery, pickle relish, lite mayo and chopped red onion. I enjoy it most on crackers or in a salad mix.
  • RogerLowen
    RogerLowen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mix whatever you want with it, stuff it in some portabello mushrooms, pop them into the oven for a half hour. Great meal all on it's own.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with humus... it is really good!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Plain and drained Tuna with:
    1. chopped celery
    2. chopped onion
    3. mustard
    4. spicy mustard
    5. chopped jalapenos
    6. a little hot sauce to desire
    7. hard boiled egg whites
    8. pickle relish or onion and pepper relish
    9. black pepper

I serve on toasted wheat bread with 75% fat free cheese from Cabot or I serve it on wheat crackers (one serving = 5 crackers).
    I am not a huge fan of tuna so when i eat it, i go all out with other low fat to non fat ingredients. NO MAYO AT ALL.
  • Cajun_Angel
    Options
    Love me some Tuna too!

I drain the water and stir in mayo, pepper, garlic salt. Instead of spooning tuna on each cracker I then take my serving of crackers and crunch in the bowl. This way I can eat with a spoon and read a book at lunch.

My boys love tuna and mac and cheese!
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I add capers, a TBS of light mayo and a squirt of lemon juice. I usually eat it as is or with some Crunchmaster Multi Grain crackers.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I take a can and mix it with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and a chopped up hard boiled egg. Microwave for a minute and eat. Delicious!

Sometimes I'll even add some jalapenos or crushed red peppers for a little kick!
  • Seattlegeminiya
    Options
    I love tuna, but I only eat it once a week due to the mercury levels unless I buy fresh. I use plain nonfat greek yogurt instead of mayo, Mrs. Dash and eat it in lettuce as a wrap. YUMMY!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm eating the teeny tiny ones (80g) as snacks every morning at the moment with no added ingredients and they come in at 59 calories each and 14g protein.
  • Kmacavery
    Kmacavery Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mix my canned tuna with avocado, a splash of lemon juice, and whatever spices you would normally use (mrs. dash, cayenne, etc). Healthy fats!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I switched to albacore recently. SO meaty and so much higher in protein! Some times I forego the mayo and relish (I'm a sweet relish girl) and instead just mix in some Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper. That's seriously tasty, especially if you like lemon on your fish.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw

Ooooo yes. This too. Or seared. *drools*