How to get in more veggies/fruits budgetwise?

Options
-We are on limited budget on food for every month...
-no access to garden, not going to make plans on gardening due to my ddd back problem

I need creative ideas on how to get more veggies&fruits for cheap. So I need to know how did you get more veggies&fruits at affordable prices? I know some people will say best is to buy when they're in season. The point, I have no idea what's in season in Florida.

Thanks!

Replies

• 253down
    253down Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ws in shock at the prices at the grocery store, I just bought frozen veggies that you steam in the microwave. Of course I am single and don't have to cook for anyone. Looking at the calories I could eat the whole bag and not blow the diet :happy:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Frozen! Cheap and always in season.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What have you been spending on food before you decided to start looking at eating healthy? It might not be the case for you, but from my experience something to think about.

When i started buying up all the healthy food, the grocery bill just about made me pass out. So, I logged in to my bank account and totaled up all the "other" food expenditures. Fast food, gas station stops for beer or soda, etc. I found that by shopping the perimeter of the store (nothing in a box is my mantra) I was spending a lot on the grocery bill, but it virtually nothing anywhere else. I end up spending less total for the week, but a bit more at the store than I used to in the past.

Just my two cents. Hope some people can give some other tips/tricks for you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Bags of frozen veggies at the grocery store. a $3 bag gets me 2lbs of veggies...
  • Jacquelinecpr16
    Options
    Here is a great way and you dont have to go frozen ---- buy the broccoli slaw or cole slaw vegatables (incl. carrots, broccoli, cabbage). It stays crispy and crunchy for days and its about half the price of bagged lettuce . $1.50 for a bag. Lettuce tends to go bad quickly and you lose out. I have had these go for 2-3 weeks. its has been a mainstay in my eating. I dont have to cut it up or anything.

And also if you check out the Asian markets in your neighbourhood you grocery bill will be cut in half. If i spend about $25 at a regular store I only spend about $10-$15 at the Asian market. Mature meats do really well in the slow cooker and you can normally purchase it for about $1.99/lb (chicken legs, no bone)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Dumpster diving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Frozen! Cheap and always in season.

^And often on sale at very reasonable prices!
  • vickijai
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else, frozen is best. I always get frozen fruits for my smoothies. As far as veggies I do the same, if I can't get a lot of fresh items. I don't like canned bc its usually high in sodium.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Another vote for frozen. If you have freezer space, buy a ton of whatever's on sale.

And look up local co-ops and farmer's markets. Many have buy-in programs where you pay, say $100-200 per season, and then get a boatload of weekly seasonal fruits and vegetables that they'll either drop off at your house or you go pick up. You don't get to choose what you get- which is good and bad. It will force you to try new things, but also you may have to figure out ways to use the things you don't like......actually I take back the good and bad...it's pretty much good and good.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here is a great way and you dont have to go frozen ---- buy the broccoli slaw or cole slaw vegatables. It stay crispy and crunchy for days and its about have the price of bagged lettece . $1.50 for a bag. Lettece tends to go bad quickly and you lose out. I have had these go for 2-3 weeks. its has been a mainstay in my eating. I dont have to cut it up or anything.

And also if you check out the Asian markets in your neighbourhood you grocery bill will be cut in half. If i spend about $25 at a regular store I only spend about 10-15 at the Asian market.

Uncut leaf lettuces and spinach keeps much longer than the chopped stuff- bags of baby whole leaf lettuces will keep much better for you, or just buy the heads. Just an FYI.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for farmers' markets in your area. Being in Florida, you should have access to good, fresh, local produce year round. Take advantage of it. Take a walk around a market: that's how you'll know what's in season.

If you buy produce at the grocery store, take a walk around the produce department before you put anything else in your cart. Something is usually on sale (and that's generally because it's in season, which probably means it's more flavorful, too!). Plan your meals around whatever produce is cheap and looks good.

If all else fails, frozen vegetables are cheap and healthy, and always decent in a stir fry. If you're not sure you'll get through fresh produce quickly, frozen may be the best way to go.

Oh, and I totally agree with the Asian market suggestion! Tons of cheap produce.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah frozen is good. Kroger's name brand frozen veggies are only a dollar a bag, and sometimes I get coupons from them for a free bag. And then I go to the farmer's market here or local food stands if they are open. They are generally much cheaper than grocery stores. I can't wait till the you-pick strawberry field opens here. You can go pick a big basket for only $4 dollars or a 5 gallon bucket full for $10.

Oh yeah, and being from Florida there are always stands on the side of the road (I know I am from Florida). If you are near the Marion county area, the Market of Marion flea market has an entire asile of nothing but fruit and veggies. And they are always good priced.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here is a great way and you dont have to go frozen ---- buy the broccoli slaw or cole slaw vegatables. It stays crispy and crunchy for days and its about have the price of bagged lettece . $1.50 for a bag.

I started using this for stir fry and you are absolutely right. Not only is it very convenient, but easier to eat and very crunchy.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my fresh stuff at Aldi's - very affordable and the produce is generally very nice.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OH yeah, and in Florida there are a lot of you picks worth going to. You get exercise and have fun all in one. Then there are the festivals that you get can get fruit cheap at. For example, the Strawberry Festival...you can get all sorts of homemade jams and strawberry stuff that is really good with out the processed stuff in it.
  • ebs1usa
    ebs1usa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree it is tough- food is getting more expensive every week! I agree with earlier posts: Buy frozen and shop the perimeter. The fewer "prepared" foods, the cheaper it is. For example, a box of Betty crocker scalloped potatoes would cost A LOT more per serving than making scalloped potatoes from scratch, AND you would have potatoes left over from a 5 pound bag for another meal or two at least. Studies have shown that frozen veggies hold their vitamins better than fresh because they are frozen within hours of being in the field. Keep in mind the "fancy" frozen veggies will cost more especially if they have a sauce in them. Buy as plain as you can is the best general rule- make your own seasoning. The bags that are NOT steamable mean you can take out as much or as little as you need to cook in your own pan & return the rest to the freezer. Cheaper not to have the "convenience" of steaming in their bag... Finally, the savings of better health through a healthy diet will reduce the expense of having illnesses related to obesity, plus you will be healthy enough to enjoy life!. Consider the slightly higher cost now as an investment in your future.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    -We are on limited budget on food for every month...
    -no access to garden, not going to make plans on gardening due to my ddd back problem

I need creative ideas on how to get more veggies&fruits for cheap. So I need to know how did you get more veggies&fruits at affordable prices? I know some people will say best is to buy when they're in season. The point, I have no idea what's in season in Florida.

Thanks!

Way more vegetables than fruit, frozen veggies, fresh root vegetables, frozen or dried fruit. Limit bagged or ready chopped/ sliced fresh stuff, it's almost always more expensive per 100g than fresh and less nutritious because the cut surfaces 'kill' antioxidants. Try stores like Aldi and farmer's markets if you have them. Price everything up per 100g, there are some massive variations when you compare like with like - keep a note in a little book or on your smartphone.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I never buy frozen , only fresh and I find it to be very cheap in comparison to everything else in my cart. I buy only what I need and often pull.apart vegitables that are tied in bunches to get only what I want. For example asparagus or carrots, I don't buy the entire bunch they have banded together, I pull out just the few stalks I will eat . Most stuff is sold by the pound not the banded bunch. Often stuff is on sale. I buy only what I will eat so I don't ever waste money on spoiled foods. Asian and Mexican markets produce is generally cheaper, but different selections. I shop them often, and I always go to farmers markets and have my own garden. Gardens don't have to be back breaking. With a little effort you can easily grow one tomato plant in a pot and have free tomatoes all season.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    We buy fresh veggies at the local Korean supermarkets and it's always pretty cheap. We'll come out with a cartload of greens and some fruit & sweet potatoes for around $20. We buy a lot of dark green veggies each week, and buy what's on sale that week. I am shocked when we stop at Kroger and see their produce prices.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and veggies as long as they are not in cream butter sauces. You can get a BIG bag of Birdseye veggies at Walmart (about 20 servings worth) for less than 6 dollars. Also, try shopping at Aldi. Their frozen fruits and veggies are about 30% less in price than name brand stores. I make well less than $20K a year and am pregnant, so I know what it's like to be on a budget. With what I do for work, I go into about 60 grocery stores a week, so while I run my route, I will usually buy a banana or an apple at one store a day. A typical single banana only costs about 22 cents (X 5 days a week = only over a dollar).