looking into buying a juicer

Options
I've talked about buying a juicer for a while now and I'm finally planning on doing so. I'm just totally clueless on what to look for. My simple question is what do you use or recommend? If you bought a bad one tell so I don't get it either. Please and Thank you in advance.

Replies

• LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a Jack LaLanne ( spelling??) I love it! I've had it for about 3 years and it's still awesome! I was skeptical about "wasting" fruit to just get the juice, but this makes ALOT of juice...and I use most of the pulp. It includes a couple of recipe books.

It was about $99.... But well worth it! We used to throw away fruits and veggies that were too soft, or yucky to eat, now we juice them...no waste!!

Hope this helps!
  • suzyb34
    Options
    The biggest recommendation I would give you is buy one that is easy to clean. I juice before work and if it were a hassle I would do it less. I have the Breville that is pretty easy to clean - either in the dishwasher or quickly rinsing and scrubbing 4 pieces. I'm not familiar with the other brands, but when you buy pay attention to how easy it is to clean.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a breville juice fountain & its great. Very tough, easy to use & easy to clean.
  • LoMyers
    LoMyers Posts: 11
    Options
    I have many friends who have a Breville and they've been happy with it. A friend gave me theirs because they never used it - it's a Black and Decker. I think it's on the lower end as far as price but it works great it's just smaller than others. I juice in the morning before work as well - it's always a good idea to chop up your fruits/veggies the night before so when you are ready you can pop them in and less clean up! Good luck! I love it, hope you do too!
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have a Jack LaLanne ( spelling??) I love it! I've had it for about 3 years and it's still awesome! I was skeptical about "wasting" fruit to just get the juice, but this makes ALOT of juice...and I use most of the pulp. It includes a couple of recipe books.

It was about $99.... But well worth it! We used to throw away fruits and veggies that were too soft, or yucky to eat, now we juice them...no waste!!

Hope this helps!

What she said above. ^^ I also have the Jack LaLanne juicer - I love it.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, juice is basically junk food. High calorie, high sugar.

I drink smoothies, but they're mostly vegetable based. Use fruit to make the smoothie taste good, but not as the main ingredients.

Orange (or any fruit, really) Juice is actually recommended to people who are looking to bulk - meaning GAIN weight.

Just be careful. Juicers make it really easy to have a lot of calories without realizing it, and you're losing the fiber.

http://theconversation.edu.au/mondays-medical-myth-fruit-juice-is-healthier-than-soft-drink-4182
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/could-drinking-juice-be-causing-your-weight-gain/
    http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/07/calorie-counter-fruit-vs-fruit-juice/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/474713-orange-juice-and-weight-loss/ (See the "Calorie Density" section)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I have a breville juice fountain & its great. Very tough, easy to use & easy to clean.

This is a very good juicer. We have had ours for almost 5 years now. My husband uses it daily and sometimes twice a day.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have the omega 8006 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

I did a LOT of research prior to making the purchase and I know I got the right juicer for me. That doesn't mean it will be the right juicer for YOU. The juicer you select depends on WHAT you want to juice. I juice a lot of leafy greens so I wanted a juicer that was going to give me a high yield on those. I also needed something quiet since I juice in the early morning sometimes and don't want to wake up my boyfriend with a machine that sounds like a jet engine! My juicer can make sorbets, nut butters and almond milk. other juicers can't.. this may or may not be an important feature to you.

I highly recommend this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKT3JVXbhIg He has tons of youtube videos about juicers, how they work, selecting the right juicer and raw foods.
  • gauts123
    gauts123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a breville juice fountain and just love it!!!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    High speed juicers strip your fruit and veggies from enzymes. To keep maximum of vitamins and minerals, and enzymes in your juice you must get low speed (around 110 rpm or less) juicer.
    Youtube has a lot of juicer videos and how they operate.

From my experience and research the best would be Omega Masticating Juicers. They have several varieties. They get your leafy greens, and even make nut butter.
    They are very low RPM - 80 rpm!
    Easy to clean.
    Pulp comes out drier then with centrifugal juicer.

Look up Omega J8005.
    8005_nutrition_center_juicer.jpg

I purchased me new juicer few month ago, and got Green Star Elite. I was down to Omega J8006 and Green Star. I decided on Green Star because it extracts more vitamins and minerals due to the unique magnetic plates it has, but it was twice as much as omega. Green star takes a few extra minutes to clean compared to Omega, but it is worth to me.

P14314301.jpg

Good luck. You are investing in your health and longevity, smart move!
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, juice is basically junk food. High calorie, high sugar.

I drink smoothies, but they're mostly vegetable based. Use fruit to make the smoothie taste good, but not as the main ingredients.

Orange (or any fruit, really) Juice is actually recommended to people who are looking to bulk - meaning GAIN weight.

Just be careful. Juicers make it really easy to have a lot of calories without realizing it, and you're losing the fiber.

http://theconversation.edu.au/mondays-medical-myth-fruit-juice-is-healthier-than-soft-drink-4182
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/could-drinking-juice-be-causing-your-weight-gain/
    http://healthland.time.com/2009/08/07/calorie-counter-fruit-vs-fruit-juice/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/474713-orange-juice-and-weight-loss/ (See the "Calorie Density" section)

I think that most people who are into juicing strive for 80% vegetables in their juice and only 20% fruits help it go down.

Also, juicing does NOT remove "all the fiber" Fruits and vegetables are a very important source of soluble fiber which helps lower blood lipids. Soluble fiber is preserved in juice because.. it's SOLUBLE. The insoluble fiber is removed, but you're still getting the important soluble fiber!

My favorite juice contains 8 cups of kale, 1 cuccmber, 4 ribs of celery, 1 granny smith apple, 1 lemon, 1 thumb size piece of ginger.... no way I'd want to drink this as a smoothie.. but as a juice it's fantastic and certainly not "junk food"
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yea, ... and eat your fruits and juice your vegetables, adding apple & lemon for taste in some juices.
    Peal if not organic.
    Don not store juice, it looses all it's goodness.

Hydration Juice:
    1/2 Cucumber
    3 celery
    2 handful of spinach
    1/2 lemon
    1/2 leaf of kale
    small peace of ginger
    2-3 organic carrots
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    High speed juicers strip your fruit and veggies from enzymes. To keep maximum of vitamins and minerals, and enzymes in your juice you must get low speed (around 110 rpm or less) juicer.
    Youtube has a lot of juicer videos and how they operate.

From my experience and research the best would be Omega Masticating Juicers. They have several varieties. They get your leafy greens, and even make nut butter.
    They are very low RPM - 80 rpm!
    Easy to clean.
    Pulp comes out drier then with centrifugal juicer.

Look up Omega J8005.

I purchased me new juicer few month ago, and got Green Star Elite. I was down to Omega J8006 and Green Star. I decided on Green Star because it extracts more vitamins and minerals due to the unique magnetic plates it has, but it was twice as much as omega. Green star takes a few extra minutes to clean compared to Omega, but it is worth to me.

Good luck. You are investing in your health and longevity, smart move!

AWESOME , I was deciding between these too juicers too and I went with the omega because "easy to clean" was very important to me... Just goes to show there's no one "best juicer" out there.. the only BEST juicer is the one that you're actually going to USE!....... Also if you sub sweet potato for carrots in the hydration juice you get a ton more potassium which really helps with electrolyte balance. That's what I did during the summer and it worked really well...
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I got the Bella Juice extractor at Macy's. Hoping to try it out soon. I've heard great things about the Breville and if I need to stop it up that is where I will be going next!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Thank-you everyone. I plan on juicing mostly vegetables and some fruit. I am planning on doing a juice fast soon of just straight veggies and fruit. I know juice is a lot of calories, but at least if I juice it myself I know it won't be empty calories. Plus I've never really been much on eating my fruits and veggies and I thought if I did a 10 day juice fast, it would detox and change my taste pallet and then afterward just juice as an occasion meal replacement. I've serious thought about buying one for a few years now I just never have. After a friend had me watch "fat, sick, and nearly dead" http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com I'm seriously gonna buy me a juicer now.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank-you everyone. I plan on juicing mostly vegetables and some fruit. I am planning on doing a juice fast soon of just straight veggies and fruit. I know juice is a lot of calories, but at least if I juice it myself I know it won't be empty calories. Plus I've never really been much on eating my fruits and veggies and I thought if I did a 10 day juice fast, it would detox and change my taste pallet and then afterward just juice as an occasion meal replacement. I've serious thought about buying one for a few years now I just never have. After a friend had me watch "fat, sick, and nearly dead" http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com I'm seriously gonna buy me a juicer now.

I've been adding juice to my diet 2 to 4 x a day and my pallet has gotten a lot healthier. Good luck you won't regret it.