Best myfitnesspal-linked exercise calorie counting device?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm considering investing in one of the hardware devices that can now be linked to myfitnesspal, to estimate my exercise calories more easily.

Criteria:
* Must work well for bicycling, so it can't rely on a pedometer.
* Should be accurate to within 15% for workouts, or to within 10% if it is measuring total calories burnt in a day.
* Reliable
* Not too expensive.

A quick look through the app gallery suggest that the "Rythm by Schosche" pulse monitor or the MIO Global "Active Connect" might be worth considering. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? How easy are they to use, and how reliable?

Replies

• Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the BodyMedia. Its basically what is seen on the show The Biggest Loser. Its pretty cool because it measures calories burned and at the same time is used as a pedometer. It has sensors that will measure your calorie burn. It also monitors your sleep and lets you know how efficient your sleep is and how much time you spend actually sleeping. Its meant to be worn 23 hrs a day but some people prefer to use it only when exercising. I do feel weird sometimes though wearing it visibly in public. Its worn on your upper left arm. Another cool thing about it is that it is compatible with some heart rate monitors. However, I use a Polar Heart rate monitor and I think its the selected Garmin Heart rate monitors that work well with it. I've had my BodyMedia unit for about a month now and I am so far very satisfied.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Either BMF or fitbit and a HRM for cycling. There's also the new Basis.
  • seabikecommuter
    seabikecommuter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i have been an avid fitbit user for years. They sync up well with MFP. I bike a lot (~3,000 miles a year) and the fitbit goes into my jersey back pocket. The steps are not accurate when cycling, but the estimated calories are pretty close.
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering investing in one of the hardware devices that can now be linked to myfitnesspal, to estimate my exercise calories more easily.

Criteria:
    * Must work well for bicycling, so it can't rely on a pedometer.
    * Should be accurate to within 15% for workouts, or to within 10% if it is measuring total calories burnt in a day.
    * Reliable
    * Not too expensive.

A quick look through the app gallery suggest that the "Rythm by Schosche" pulse monitor or the MIO Global "Active Connect" might be worth considering. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? How easy are they to use, and how reliable?
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the BodyMedia. Its basically what is seen on the show The Biggest Loser. Its pretty cool because it measures calories burned and at the same time is used as a pedometer. It has sensors that will measure your calorie burn. It also monitors your sleep and lets you know how efficient your sleep is and how much time you spend actually sleeping. Its meant to be worn 23 hrs a day but some people prefer to use it only when exercising. I do feel weird sometimes though wearing it visibly in public. Its worn on your upper left arm. Another cool thing about it is that it is compatible with some heart rate monitors. However, I use a Polar Heart rate monitor and I think its the selected Garmin Heart rate monitors that work well with it. I've had my BodyMedia unit for about a month now and I am so far very satisfied.

Sounds interesting. How accurate is it without the heart rate monitor compared with results with one?
    How long does it take to charge and how often does it need to be charged?
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have also worn my heart rate monitor which will do a calorie total and they do come pretty close. When you first use the BodyMedia, you will charge the unit for somethign like 2 or 3 hours. I have the BodyMedia Link version which is also compatible with my iPhone. It connects through bluetooth so if I'm curious a the gym, I sync it up and it will tell me immediately my calorie totals. On the iPhone app, it also shows you about how much battery you have left. The monitor charges through your computer port using a usb cord provided. However, I rarely use my computer but found that using the wall plug for my iPhone works just as well. I think i charge my unit maybe once a week and it charges very quickly. The best time I charge it is when I take it off to shower and get ready in the morning for work. You have to take it off an hour a day anyway so thats when I usually do it but again, I only charge it like once a week. Definetly check out the website BodyMedia.com and even Amazon.com . I actually got my husband one too and he NEVER enters his calorie intake. He just like to see his calorie burn. :)
  • negrita40
    negrita40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also wanting to buy a device, I'm going for the Rythm because it measures your pulse, which is helpful in counting calories...