Breakfast before or after running?

Options
2»

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Seriously do what youre body tells you to do. Some people can go out and run or do a full hour of running or exercise with out eating something.
    as for me? no way in hell i'm taking a 3 mile run with out AT LEAST eating a slice of wheat toast with spray butter or peanut butter. I'm not saying I fill up because then i just feel heavy. What i am saying is my body needs carbs to get through 3 miles so a piece of toast usually does it. When i have early morning 5k events, i get up at 530am - eat a slice of wheat toast or half a pack of instant oatmeal and then i go to the event and jog.
    Its a personal body preference that you will need to learn about yourself.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you should really ask your body instead of ours.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    you should really ask your body instead of ours.

^ this. There is no right or wrong answer. I get sick if I eat before I run. Other people can't run due to lack of fuel if they don't eat. It is your body, how would we know what it needs.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It comes down to personal preference.

For me, if I were only running for a half hour, I wouldn't bother eating.

If I'm running for an hour or more, I try to eat a small breakfast - usually something like whole wheat toast and peanut butter.

If I'm running for 1.5 hours or longer, I also bring along some fuel to consume mid-run.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    switch it up to confuse the muscles
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    muscle confusion to avoid plateauing:

hurry and get dressed for the gym, sit on couch.

muscles = confused.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    running with anything in my stomach just kills my running so i run on an empty stomach and drink watered down orange juice if i need a kick

^^^ this, but I have to take extra salt because of my low blood pressure, so I drink 1/2 of a 12 oz bottle of regular gatorade before I run in the morning (gives me a bit of sugar and some electrolytes). Only 40 cals too.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    muscle confusion to avoid plateauing:

hurry and get dressed for the gym, sit on couch.

muscles = confused.

ha! Sometimes, if I know I'm not going to want to but have to go for a run super early in the morning, the night before I'll put on all my running gear (even shoes and HRM strap) and then go to bed. Talk about confusion.