No weight loss in first week.

Hi,

I have been regularly exercising now for the past two years, but until recently have only been focussing on cardio, whilst not really watching my diet that closely, and I have not lost any weight (or gained though!).

However I am now determined to drop the extra stone (14lbs) that I need to this year and after doing my reading and speaking with a personal trainer I realise I have been going about it all wrong and in fact need to add in weight training to my routine in order to gain lean muscle and burn fat. Diet is not really an issue as I'm ok with counting calories and choosing less carbs and more protein etc.

So I've been doing this for a week. After 3 days my scales said I'd lost 3lbs, but then 4 days later I weighed in at my starting weight again.

Could it just be that I'm retaining more water due to my period, or from extra weight training. Could it be that my muscles are weighing heavier? What is a sensible amount of time to measure this over before making changes to diet/routine?

Any help greatly appreciated, and if anyone wants to add me I could use some extra help and advice occasionally :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• toffee2013
    toffee2013 Posts: 344 Member
    Everywhere i've read has said that the scales are not accurate , as they don't take water , muscle etc into account . Have you meassured yourself . You maybe losing inches but not weight . A body builder is all muscle but weighs off the charts ! Aslong as your changing up your routine and eating right then you will be fine .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    dont weigh every day!
  • I think it can take some people's bodies a few weeks to get things going. Keep at it and you'll see results.
  • EllaSmora
    EllaSmora Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks all :)
  • My scale doesn't move much during my cycle, when its all said and done with it drops a couple pounds. :)
  • starryskies_16
    starryskies_16 Posts: 31 Member
    Your body will fluctuate daily due to a variety of things, and especially around your period. Try not to weigh yourself every day as you will most likely feel discouraged; I used to find that if I weighed myself and I'd lost weight, I'd be a bit complacent on what I did/ate for the rest of that day and then feel rubbish when I found that I'd gained again. Weigh yourself once a week and just keep at it. The less you have to lose, the harder it will be. Just don't give up! :)
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    I weigh in on Monday mornings and Friday mornings and now know that I put 2.3-4lbs of just extra water weight on the weekends from cheating or having a few beers or too much sodium. I always take my Friday weight as my "official weight"
  • Suzeboo
    Suzeboo Posts: 50
    My scale doesn't move much during my cycle, when its all said and done with it drops a couple pounds. :)

That explains my awful week's loss then!! lol :smile:
  • EllaSmora
    EllaSmora Posts: 4 Member
    This is such a good idea!! I'm always a little bit more leniant with the diet on a weekend :)
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Don't sweat it! You probably gained some muscle and retained some water. Weigh yourself one time per week and get a body fat monitor.

Good luck