Vegetable side dish recipes?

Options
Bobtheangrytomato
Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
Raw veggies and salad can get boring...anyone have any good cooked healthy veggie recipes?

Replies

• Wari87
    Wari87 Posts: 45
    Options
    Check out bbcgoodfood site. They have several good recipes along with the nutritional info. :)
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    My favourite is stir fry! If you want to avoid the oil, you can bake them with some broth and a lid on a baking dish!

I can make it again and again with different combinations.

Sometimes we turn it into fajita's, sometimes we mix it in with rice.

Peppers, Carrots, Zuchinni, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, mmmmmm... so many choices, one skill.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Assuming you cooked a meat, save the drippings and saute your veggies in it with some shiritake teriyaki sauce.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Options
    Sadly I don't have a kitchen scale, so metric recipes are hard :(
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Curried cauliflower puree

Cauliflower cut into florets (i use stalk too)
    Shallot/small onion
    Spray oil
    1tsp cumin powder,
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1 tablespoon medium curry powder
    500 ml low salt chicken or veg stock
    1 tblsp low fat creme fraiche

Gently cook onion with about 10 sprays of oil until translucent, add spices, cook for 1 minute.
    Add cauliflower and stock, cover and simmer til tender
    Drain (reserve the liquid)
    Blend until smooth add creme fraiche, use reserved liquid if needed.

Any remaining cooking stock can be reduced by 50% and used as a sauce over your meat dish, great with chicken and salmon.

Medium cauliflower works out at 320 cals but will easily serve 4 to 6 as a side
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I couldn't manage recipies, portions, logging without my digital scale. probably the most used item in the kitchen (other than the dishwasher of course!)

Seriously worth a minimal investment IMHO

PS: I do posess and use a full set of Cup measures so i can use USA recipes (Cosmopolitan brit!)
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Options
    Curried cauliflower puree

Cauliflower cut into florets (i use stalk too)
    Shallot/small onion
    Spray oil
    1tsp cumin powder,
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1 tablespoon medium curry powder
    500 ml low salt chicken or veg stock
    1 tblsp low fat creme fraiche

Gently cook onion with about 10 sprays of oil until translucent, add spices, cook for 1 minute.
    Add cauliflower and stock, cover and simmer til tender
    Drain (reserve the liquid)
    Blend until smooth add creme fraiche, use reserved liquid if needed.

Any remaining cooking stock can be reduced by 50% and used as a sauce over your meat dish, great with chicken and salmon.

Medium cauliflower works out at 320 cals but will easily serve 4 to 6 as a side

Yum! I will have to try that, thanks!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Google: vegetatian times roasted fennel parmesan vinegrette .... my favorite!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Options

I couldn't manage recipies, portions, logging without my digital scale. probably the most used item in the kitchen (other than the dishwasher of course!)

Seriously worth a minimal investment IMHO

PS: I do posess and use a full set of Cup measures so i can use USA recipes (Cosmopolitan brit!)

I don't think I've ever used a kitchen scale. I stick to cups and measuring spoons. I found a cheap one on amazon so I can branch out to metric cooking. There are definitely some recipes I want to try
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love to chop up red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados. I add a little reduced fat feta and mix together. It is delicious! I eat is at a meal.

I also like roasted cabbage. Cut the cabbage into wedge abd brush a little olive oil on each wedge. Add salt, pepper and fennel seeds (you don't have to add the fennel) and bake at 400 for 40 minutes. These are crispy and delicious!

I love sauteed brussel sprouts. I had horrible memories of brussel sprouts as a child. For many years I refused to try them...even sauteed. I was glad when I did because they were delicious. I shred them, then saute them with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic! Sooo good!
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Options
    I love to chop up red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados. I add a little reduced fat feta and mix together. It is delicious! I eat is at a meal.

I also like roasted cabbage. Cut the cabbage into wedge abd brush a little olive oil on each wedge. Add salt, pepper and fennel seeds (you don't have to add the fennel) and bake at 400 for 40 minutes. These are crispy and delicious!

I love sauteed brussel sprouts. I had horrible memories of brussel sprouts as a child. For many years I refused to try them...even sauteed. I was glad when I did because they were delicious. I shred them, then saute them with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic! Sooo good!

I do like fennel. I will have to try that
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Simple one:

One box frozen spinach
    Squeeze of lemon (add some lemon zest for an extra kick)
    2 wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese or equivalent in reduced fat cream cheese.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Options
    Simple one:

One box frozen spinach
    Squeeze of lemon (add some lemon zest for an extra kick)
    2 wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese or equivalent in reduced fat cream cheese.

I actually used to do that one when I was skinny lol. Thanks for reminding me of it

Edit: I also added egg white and baked it into a quiche
  • LaceyCwell
    Options
    skinnytaste.com
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i just made cauliflower pizza for a side (only 100 cals for a large slice). I also like cauliflower mac and cheese (dont need a lot of cheese), steamed veggies are always on my plate otherwise and i just season them with whatever i feel like that day! If you are looking for something quicker, i usually use those green giant frozen vegetables and they are really yummy! I am not a salad fan either.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

You can always google the conversion from metric to US.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I just made Buffalo Cauliflower Bites with Low-Fat Blue Cheese dressing from Skinnytaste.com. It was delicious!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love salad and eat it most every day, but I am part rabbit, I think. :)

I make this often:
    Diced onion
    Diced red pepper
    Can of corn, drained
    Can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    Lime juice
    Cillantro
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive Oil
    Sriacha (sp?) sauce

I saute the onion and pepper ahead of the other ingredients in a bit of olive oil. Then reduce heat and add the corn, beans and other ingredients to taste. It's a nice, spicy side dish, pretty healthy!
  • starsandsass
    Options
    I mate a vegetable stew/crock pot kind of dish where I add half a red onion sliced, half a zucchini sliced into half coins and a small red capsicum/bell pepper cut into neat chunks. I boil these veggie in a small pot with some water, just enough to cover, add in a some ground chilli and ground cumin and about a table spoon of regular tomato paste. Just let it simmer on the stove and the water reduces to a gravy like texture. Towards the end of the cocking process I sometimes add edamame if I'm really hungry/ it's a main meal but any bean would work. If it's a main mean I have it with a half serve of quinoa which I cook separately and then add in once cooked. On serving I'll add some coriander (cilantro) if it's in the fridge, a squeeze of lemon and some ground rock salt. I love this meal it's so quick, easy and healthy. And can be adapted from a side dish to a main so easily.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash with garlic, onions, and pasta sauce.