The Horrors of the BINGE

Options
Ok so I've been really good, ten days into my diet with not one problem as at all, and then my boyfriend is given a box of LOVELY belgium chocolates, which he hates, and instead of binning them as they were really expensive I eat six of them (out of like fifteen) plus some other stuff I shouldn't of have (slices of bread and butter etc). I think it was because I have a very stressful day tomorrow at work with the manager and i just ate my worries!
Now I am really really worried, I have consumed more that my daily limit (1680 to be precise, I am on a 1250 mark) and terrified i would mess up my weight loss of four and a half pounds. Add the fact I have a knee injury and won't be able to exercise for at least four more days, I feel awful! I'm also meant to be eating at my boyfriends parents house tonight (i think its chicken pie and potatoes) which would add another 400-500 maybe calories so today I will probably consume around 2,200-300 cals, which is way over!!

So, what should I do? Do I eat really strictly like 1000-1200 cals tomorrow to compensate and maybe try and do some reluctant sit ups?
Any stories of you're binging, advice about the chocolates sitting there, advice on what to do next/tips etc?
Support NEEDED please, thanks!

Replies

• AbigailClarke1948
    Options
    Think about the journey, lovey! You are setting yourself up for discouragement if you think you will never take a step backwards. 10 days??? Wow. Great for you. Think compromise. You don't eat at your boyfriend's house every night (I am guessing!), so be prepared - maybe you'll go a little over - but you can stop yourself form going WAY over. Be happy.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over one day. Tomorrow is a new day, just resume your 1250 goal going forward. It takes time to adjust your eating habits. I had a 3500 calorie dinner a few months ago for by bf's birthday and I enjoyed every bite it, especially the chocolate fondue with brownies, pound cake and strawberries... next day, back on track. I still lost weight that week. As for the chocolates, fit one or two pieces into your daily goal and really savor them. Take a piece but put the box away and leave the room before you eat it. Take your chocolate, curl up on the couch and take the time to enjoy it. Good luck!
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been really good, ten days into my diet with not one problem as at all, and then my boyfriend is given a box of LOVELY belgium chocolates, which he hates, and instead of binning them as they were really expensive I eat six of them (out of like fifteen) plus some other stuff I shouldn't of have (slices of bread and butter etc). I think it was because I have a very stressful day tomorrow at work with the manager and i just ate my worries!
    Now I am really really worried, I have consumed more that my daily limit (1680 to be precise, I am on a 1250 mark) and terrified i would mess up my weight loss of four and a half pounds. Add the fact I have a knee injury and won't be able to exercise for at least four more days, I feel awful! I'm also meant to be eating at my boyfriends parents house tonight (i think its chicken pie and potatoes) which would add another 400-500 maybe calories so today I will probably consume around 2,200-300 cals, which is way over!!

So, what should I do? Do I eat really strictly like 1000-1200 cals tomorrow to compensate and maybe try and do some reluctant sit ups?
    Any stories of you're binging, advice about the chocolates sitting there, advice on what to do next/tips etc?
    Support NEEDED please, thanks!

First, do not focus on that and panic or whatever because it only makes things worse.

Then, WATER. Tons of it - when you eat badly, sodium and sugar go through the roof and you need to flush them out of your system.

Don't fret. Tonight, eat normally, forget calories for today (do not binge anymore today though), just enjoy your food and drink water/teas.

Tomorrow, guess what? Water again (more than the 8 recommended cups) and stick to your calorie goal - don't go too much under because when you binge, you eat loads but you often don't binge on the "healthy" foods so you still can lack nutrients and vitamins that's why it's so important not to starve yourself the day after. Just eat more vegs and fruits tomorrow.

Of course, some exercise would be good but if you can't, don't hurt yourself, it's not worth it.

Once again, I repeat myself but don't obsess over it. One bad day won't ruin all your efforts and it just might shock your body a bit so it'll lose more afterwards. It's fine and it happens to all of us.

Also, I would give the rest of the chocolates to a friend or a colleague (or your boyfriend's parents tonight haha).

Extra tip: when I feel like bingeing, drinking spicy tea and lemon water, and chewing sugarless mint gums work most of the time.

Just my 2 cents (and sorry for my English, I'm French) :)

xx
  • bridiepep
    bridiepep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Even if you consume 2,200 cals, this is the normal calorie intake on average, to retain current weight. You would have to go way over that to actually put weight on. It was definitely not a binge and the main thing is that you were aware of your calorie intake which is great - you have measured out the effect and that's a really good thing. Well done.

I actually find that allowing myself one or two such days each week, and sticking rigidly for the other 5 days, is a great way to lose weight. Slower weight loss, but still loss and at least I stick to it this way.

Good luck, you've done well so far and as everyone else said, don't beat yourself up over a day of normal calorie intake!!

:-)
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Relax... your going to have times like this its part of life. Its not about what you do on a day to day basis, well it is but aslong you stick with it 99 times out of 100 you will be fine. A few 100 calories extra this day is not the end of the world. You should be more concerned about what this kind of reaction does to your mental well being rather than your waist line. Just don't panic!