Sugar problem

Options
I keep going over on sugar, I know I don't eat perfectly....that is why I started tracking. But it seems I eat too much fruit. What are some good things to eat for breakfast, I usually start my day with an orange or apple, and eggs or toast.

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sugar related problem such as diabetes, eating sugar isn't bad. Fruit is very nutritious and delicious so eat to your hearts content :drinker:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a sugar related problem such as diabetes, eating sugar isn't bad. Fruit is very nutritious and delicious so eat to your hearts content :drinker:

How does sugar effect diabetes differently than other carbs?

Honest question
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try oats -- they also lower cholesterol. Quick oats can be made with hot water in a flash, and come in handy satchets to help with portion control. And there are tons of different flavours to choose from, and you can stir in some fresh or dried fruit for extra cals and fiber if you like. :)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. i reached my goal weight without even looking at sugar/carb/fat. all you need is lots of protein and you can eat whatever you want for the rest of your calories.
    trust me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I keep going over on sugar, I know I don't eat perfectly....that is why I started tracking. But it seems I eat too much fruit. What are some good things to eat for breakfast, I usually start my day with an orange or apple, and eggs or toast.

www.hulu.com/watch/2345
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    meh....I track carbs/protein/fat and try to meet my macros.

dont worry about going over in sugar
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Honest question

I believe it's because because sugar is a simple carb so it spikes blood sugar much more quickly than complex carbs. The quick spike requires insulin to regulate, which is where diabetics have the problem.

The same would be true of any simple carb though-but sugar is just straight-up simple carb, hence the reason it's easy to identify as a problem.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you eat a lot of fruit, i'd stop tracking your sugar intake.
  • drmerc
    Options

Honest question

I believe it's because because sugar is a simple carb so it spikes blood sugar much more quickly than complex carbs. The quick spike requires insulin to regulate, which is where diabetics have the problem.

Is this a guess or a actual answer? Sounds like garbage all gluecose in the blood would need insulin
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Is it that red number that is bothering you? You can get rid of it by tracking something else. Unless you have a medical reason to worry about sugar from fruit or dairy products, I don't think it's a concern. Try subtracting those from a day's diary and see how much you have had.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was stuck, and my trainer said it was the sugar. I would start off the morning with a bananna, and also eat other fruit as snacks. Healthy, right? Not for me. Once I eliminated the fruit, the weight started coming off again. Everyone is different.

I also found a great yougurt that only has 2g of sugar, so I can get a "taste" of fruit. Kroger CARBmaster.
  • drmerc
    Options
    I was stuck, and my trainer said it was the sugar. I would start off the morning with a bananna, and also eat other fruit as snacks. Healthy, right? Not for me. Once I eliminated the fruit, the weight started coming off again. Everyone is different.

I also found a great yougurt that only has 2g of sugar, so I can get a "taste" of fruit. Kroger CARBmaster.

The only possible answer is the sugar?
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Honest question
    Sugar builds up in the blood of a type 1 diabetic because it is unable to produce insulin, a hormone needed for sugar uptake and use by the body's cells, tissues and organs. A type 2 diabetic experiences high blood sugar levels because the body either cannot produce a sufficient amount of insulin, or the body cannot make use of the insulin it generates
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Honest question

Is this a guess or a actual answer? Sounds like garbage all gluecose in the blood would need insulin

It's a combo guess vs actual answer. My father is diabetic and that's what his dietician told him. And yes, all glucose needs insulin, but there's an acceptable level of glucose to have in your blood. The complex carbs are more like time-release drugs so the glucose level in the blood doesn't spike super-high all at once.

Idk-that's what my father was told and while he does watch his diet, he's not insulin dependent anymore. Could be a load of horsesh!t for all I know.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Honest question

everyone knows sugars such as fructose and lactose spike insulin faster than complex carbs such as maltodextrin. Also, carbs are the only thing that cause insulin spikes while fat and especially protein do not...
  • drmerc
    Options

Honest question
    Sugar builds up in the blood of a type 1 diabetic because it is unable to produce insulin, a hormone needed for sugar uptake and use by the body's cells, tissues and organs. A type 2 diabetic experiences high blood sugar levels because the body either cannot produce a sufficient amount of insulin, or the body cannot make use of the insulin it generates

Are you sure it builds up in the blood? I thought it got eventually excreted through the urine

This is probably the least helpful answer in this thread
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Honest question

Are you sure it builds up in the blood? I thought it got eventually excreted through the urine

This is probably the least helpful answer in this thread

I think your confusing sugar with the expended fat cells that have to leave the body...now those are what you pee out. That's how you actually lose weight.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Honest question

I don't know. Educate me.
  • drmerc
    Options

Honest question

I don't know. Educate me.

How can I educate you... I'm the one who asked the question
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the "sugars" note on MFP seems to work the best for me.