Eating healthily yet struggling to eat 1200 cals a day

Options
I have only been using myfitnesspal for 3 days now however I'd like some help with something.

First and foremost, I am eating healthily and frequently (3 meals a day with 1 or 2 snacks). I eat when I am hungry and I don't eat when I am not. I'm trying to drink 2 litres (8 cups) of water a day but I'm only really managing 1 litre on average. I am 20 years old, 5'3, 128.42 lbs, female.

However I am finding it quite hard to intake 1200 calories apart from if I stay up very late and have to have a snack. My meals are relatively low in calories and I'm not sure how to make them higher in calories without making them horrendously unhealthy.

Yesterday I managed to get my calorie intake up to 1383 but I burnt 721 through exercise which only left 662 calories as my net.

I guess my question is, is this normal and okay, or am I am entering starvation mode despite not feeling hungry between my meals, and if I am, what can I do to improve this? I don't like force feeding myself when I feel satisfied.

Any answers will be very much appreciated! Thank you

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to drink 2 litres of water a day. It's a myth.

Perhaps post an example of your daily diet? Are you getting enough fat in your diet, for example?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    So you are eating 4-5 times per day and can't hit 1200 calories? Are you sure you are estimating your portions properly and logging everything?

I agree with the previous poster - open your diary so we can see what you are eating.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    People seem to go to the extreme of "I can't eat anything bad for me", and so they cut so much out of their diet that they end up under eating. Try adding back in some healthier but high calorie items. Cook with olive oil, eat avocados, nuts, peanut butter, and make sure you eat plenty of lean meat. You should be eating back your exercise calories because your deficit is already calculated by MFP. Try getting more calorie dense items. (That also means if you want a pizza one night and it fits in your calories, go for it!)
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Nuts and using a drizzle of olive oil to cook with or in a salad are great ways to up calories but healthily.

Try using full fat versions of things such as milk or cheese if you are using low fat ones, some fat really doesn't hurt and will raise your calories.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    People seem to go to the extreme of "I can't eat anything bad for me", and so they cut so much out of their diet that they end up under eating. Try adding back in some healthier but high calorie items. Cook with olive oil, eat avocados, nuts, peanut butter, and make sure you eat plenty of lean meat. You should be eating back your exercise calories because your deficit is already calculated by MFP. Try getting more calorie dense items. (That also means if you want a pizza one night and it fits in your calories, go for it!)

Yep, exactly this!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    With only 10-15 pounds to lose (just guessing...not sure what your goal is); your diet really needs to b spot on. Netting 600-700 calories a day is going to make it very difficult to be successful. Try eating foods that are healthy but have a higher calorie content: whole eggs, almonds, avocado, almond butter, etc...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

So agree.

This doesn't have to be about extremes.
  • Dobbleton
    Options
    I'll use Monday as an example then.

I had 335 cal for breakfast, which was porridge some strawberry jam and a small banana
    263 cal for lunch, which was a chicken breast sandwich on a brown bread roll with some margarine
    440 for dinner, which was a meat and potato pie (which I am quite sure isn't healthy but I had yet to go shopping), sliced beetroot and carrots, broccoli and cauliflower

So that was 1038.

I DID however end up eating 2 satsumas and a yogurt which brought me up to 1254 but this was only because I stayed up late and it is very important to me that I start going to sleep a lot earlier than I did on Monday. If I am in sleep by 11 as I hope then I wouldn't have eaten those snacks.

My calorie breakdown for that day was 51/55% for carbs, 30/30% fat and 19/15% for protein.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

Yep, exactly this!

I never understand what's so hard about this. When I ate 1200 cals, I had a harder time figuring out how to "fit" everything into 1200 cals. Scoop some PB onto some bread, eat a few extra pieces of fruit. Drink a glass of milk.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You should NOT be eating back the exercise calories, they are what make you lose weight. Eating 1200 cal a day with exercise shouldn't be too hard when you think like that.:smile:
  • ahefner33
    ahefner33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second the nuts and nut butters. My exercise usually comes later in the day and usually my workouts aren't pre planned cause I like to do random activities. But I will just eat something like almond butter (personal preference) and you can hit calories easily
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    You should NOT be eating back the exercise calories, they are what make you lose weight. Eating 1200 cal a day with exercise shouldn't be too hard when you think like that.:smile:
    Calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight. Extreme deficits slow down your metabolic rate which will discourage weight loss. MFP is set already to the calories you need to eat for weight loss. That doesn't take into account, the exercise calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'll use Monday as an example then.

I had 335 cal for breakfast, which was porridge some strawberry jam and a small banana
    263 cal for lunch, which was a chicken breast sandwich on a brown bread roll with some margarine
    440 for dinner, which was a meat and potato pie (which I am quite sure isn't healthy but I had yet to go shopping), sliced beetroot and carrots, broccoli and cauliflower

So that was 1038.

I DID however end up eating 2 satsumas and a yogurt which brought me up to 1254 but this was only because I stayed up late and it is very important to me that I start going to sleep a lot earlier than I did on Monday. If I am in sleep by 11 as I hope then I wouldn't have eaten those snacks.

My calorie breakdown for that day was 51/55% for carbs, 30/30% fat and 19/15% for protein.

I would add more protein to your breakfast.
  • Dobbleton
    Options

I've actually started eating peanut butter recently. I HATE nuts but I find I can stomach peanut butter and I put it in my porridge this morning along with some jam which boosted my breakfast to 422 calories. Meat is a little bit harder for me to eat because I'm a student and meat tends to quite expensive but I have a some chicken breasts in at the moment at the gracious generosity of my parents :). I was thinking of having one small unhealthy food item (chocolate bar for an example) and one bigger unhealthy food item a week (like pizza maybe), I just haven't got around to it yet, this week.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal. Avocados are high in GOOD calories, Sweet potatoes, grains etc
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Also, planning in advance helps ya. Do you have a meal planning day?
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the amount of calories burned through exercise is correct? What are you using to get this? Since your weight is not high, you would have to exercise crazy and for long periods of time to burn that many calories.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I can munch all day and rarely hit 1200 calories. I munch on fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, peanut butter, and I love my Morningstar Farms veggie products. I 'do' cook with olive oil and I certainly don't pass on a slice of pizza and a baby Coke. String cheese is a good friend.

I eat very little meat. (I have a phobia about eating anything that ever had a mother or a face!) So, although I don't often hit that 1200 calorie count, I am still 'full' and I'm absolutely not starving.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

This is very bad advice for a 20 year old who is only 128 pounds. 1200 is too low as it is. Telling her to not eat her exercise calories is even worse.
  • Dobbleton
    Options
    Nuts and using a drizzle of olive oil to cook with or in a salad are great ways to up calories but healthily.

Try using full fat versions of things such as milk or cheese if you are using low fat ones, some fat really doesn't hurt and will raise your calories.

Hmmm, I could switch to full fat milk, thank you! I don't really eat much cheese however. I've bought some Philadelphia cheese which is the normal stuff, not the light version, but I'll probably only eat that with crackers if I'm peckish.