Is it me or my heart rate monitor??

Options
2»

Replies

• SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the research and detailed response. The first thing I did when I cought it was change the settings to reflect my info. I am not new to Plyo as I have been using the P90X system 3-5 times a week for maintenance since 2009. I can't say that I've slacked off the amount of effort I give but I do notice the work-outs have gotten easier so I do try to push a little harder to make up the difference. The only thing I am new too in the last 3 months is using a heart rate monitor itself. I understandnot having the O2 metric can skew results but I had not considered some of the other alternatives haybales mentioned. Thank you! Bottom line is check the battery, clean it off, secure the strap, and watch it for entertainment value. Ultimately my jeans and refrigerator will decide if I worked hard enough. Thanks so much for the great responses!!
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also use a heart rate monitor and I usually do the same 2mile jog every work out and burn 400-430 calories. I did that same jog the day before last and my heart monitor when i was done read like 875?? I knew it must be a mistake or fluke. So I just logged the usual 400 calories burned in MFP. The next day I went to grab my monitor before my next jog and battery was completely dead. So after changing battery I was up and running again. Maybe a battery issue or maybe your work out just getting to easy for you beacause you are healthier now.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    heybales speaks truth and makes much more sense. I totally didn't think about the algorithms and data set available.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

...HRM calorie burn formulas are only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise, meaning same HR for 3-5 minutes.

Lifting, intervals, plyo, P90X, your HR is all over the place. And being more fit allows faster Heart Rate Recovery, so it drops faster. To the HRM, that will register as less calories burned, even if you are getting up to the same high HR....

That's good to know. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for posting!