**Are Rest Days Necessary????**

Options
Hi all! My current routine is Body Pump Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I've started Couch to 5k (so running) I do that on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday. Do I need a rest day? No one can really give me a straight answer but the C25K says to only run three days and rest inbetween. I'm new again to running but I have been doing body pump for months now- I just don't want to get an injury and if my body needs rest I want to do so. THANKS!!!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    alternating strength and cardio makes it less likely that you NEED a rest day. I personally would take at least one a week. I'd probably cut out your Friday run and take that as a rest day. But since you're not doing the same type of workout 2 days in a row, it's probably not necessary.
  • fitsonia24
    fitsonia24 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read an article a while back where the trainer to the stars Harley Pasternak says that your body needs one day of rest per week.
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think C25K recommends running 3 days a week, especially if you're new to running. Take that 7th day off and relax or go for a walk.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, I think with your routine you will need one. starting C25K for the first time will have a big impact on your legs you will get to a point where they hurt. That was my experience anyway.

Also body pump will push your muscles quite a bit.

If you are tired and you ache take a day off.
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Though I see the routine you are creating and it sounds realistic, for the sake of your muscles and just your body in general, you need AT LEAST 1 rest day. Why? Regardless of your workout, you tear some form of muscle because you may have worked it in a way you normally don't or that its not familiar with. Having the rest day allows it to re-cooperate and re-energize. Without the rest day, you may be setting yourself up for injury. I learned the hard way pre-pregnancy and was out of commission for 2 weeks (which killed me because I was addicted to working out).

Good luck and hang in there!!!
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! That's sort of what I was thinking- cutting out one of my running days. With C25K I'm actually starting to like running- never thought that would happen!
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yes
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Your muscles.grow when you rest, exercising does micro-tears, resting allows them to rain which is what makes them stronger... From my non-medical training understanding of things.

I have a few medical issues that mean my rest days are every other day, which makes me sad that I can't workout as much.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You'll know if you need a rest day, becuase you'll feel fatigued. Until then, knock yourself out, not to be taken literally
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    you SHOULD have rest days, it helps your body recover and also allows you to build muscle, that being said, depending on your goals and your bodys ability you don't HAVE to, i went many consecutive months with zero off days and no injury. it is a great idea but not a must have. :wink:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I believe they are. Since I started MFP a year ago I have always planned to take Sunday as a rest day. I chose Sunday because I weigh in that morning.

For about 6 weeks last year I stopped taking Sunday off. I ended up with a herniated disc & had to do nothing for 3 weeks then walking or swimming for another 4. It sucked. It may have been a coincidence but I now keep my rest day.

Another interesting note is that after that 3 week rest my weight came off more easily. More recently I was ill for several weeks in Nov & Dec and didn't get much of any exercise. When I started back up last week I lost 2.5lbs. I knlw that will slow but it affirms for me that my body does need rest. I plan to incorporate a rest week into mybroutine every 6 to 8 weeks.

My current training is running Tue, Thurs & Sat and a workout video (currently 30 Day Shred) Mon, Wed & Friday.

Good luck.
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, I think with your routine you will need one. starting C25K for the first time will have a big impact on your legs you will get to a point where they hurt. That was my experience anyway.

Also body pump will push your muscles quite a bit.

If you are tired and you ache take a day off.

Yes! My legs are sore! Especially my shins & calves. I've always been good at lifting & body pump came naturally to me- I have to really work at running! I'm on Week 2 day 2 so I'm in the early stages of C25K.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    For me they are absolutely necessary. Not only for my body but my mental health. If I tried to do something every day I would get pretty burnt out. I take two days off a week (typically Thursday and Sunday) and that works for me. I also like to take the days off to give my legs a rest. I lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday and if I tried to add other stuff in on Tuesday and Thursday, by the time I got to Friday and know my workout would suffer.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take your rest days for now. im sure as time goes on, the C25k program will give you less of them :p ....if you feel guilty for not doing some kind of activity on your rest days, try some yoga, stretching, light pilates. If you have a WII, maybe do some bowling, golf, etc, Do something very mellow but still active :) Make sure your getting plenty of sleep. As you go along with the program you will know how much you can push yourself. :)
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    absolutely...otherwise your body will quit on you.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    If you're hurting, take the rest day. You'll be surprised how much your body recovers during rest days. The running after will be much easier.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes-or you'll probably end up taking a whole lot of rest days in a row to recover from some sort of injury. Rest day doesn't have to mean laying immobilized in bed all day, just don't push yourself all out 7 days a week.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What people often forget is that there are Rest days and Recovery days.

A rest day means literally 'Do Nothing'
    A recovery day means 'Do something but don't push yourself to exhaustion'

As an example, my training looks something like this:
    Monday: Track (fixed distance reps) or 5K Pace Run.
    Tuesday: Turbo (static bike) or High weight, low volume gym session
    Wednesday: Running club or (Running) Interval training
    Thursday: Turbo (static bike) or low weight, high volume gym session
    Friday: Swim or Circuit training
    Saturday: Long run
    Sunday: Long bike ride.

Generally I treat Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday as 'Work to exhaustion' (Quality Sessions).
    Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I vary depending on how I feel on the day, so it can be anything - Quality, Recovery or Rest.

What you can do in a week depends on all sorts of factors: What you eat, how well you slept, stress levels, injuries, whether you are ill or not etc. You need to learn judge what you are capable of in order to guarantee you can do your Quality sessions properly.

By the way - I think that mixed sports combined with learning how hard you can push yourself is how you avoid injury.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You'll know if you need a rest day, becuase you'll feel fatigued. Until then, knock yourself out, not to be taken literally

I agree with this. Your body will let you know. Eat well and sleep well and you should be fine.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a rest day. If you don't want to do one a week you could plan your workouts based on a 10 schedule and take 1 of every 10 days off. Just like your body needs to sleep it needs a rest.