Severe Ankle Sprain

Options
For anyone that has a severe ankle sprain, how do you know when to start doing physical therapy to increase range of motion and strength? And how do you know when you can start putting weight on it again? I've got to get off these crutches!! I've strained my forearm and wrist so every step I have to take with the crutches is extremely painful (I can't even rotate my wrist or forearm without pain shooting from my wrist to my elbow and into my bicep), and now my shoulders are also starting to bother me.

Replies

• tanitacox
    tanitacox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I fractured my ankle so I understand the frustration of being on crutches. I slipped and pulled a muscle in my arms so every time i moved I was in pain.
    I got out my cast and went straight on the exercise etc, such a bad idea.

I would stand on it and see how it feels. Walk on it using crutches so you take majority of your weight, but not all so your ankle gets used to you putting weight on it. if it hurts use the crutches, but just gradually introduce your weight.

But you should go see the doctor and wear support bandages - they really help.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did go to the ER when it first happened. It's been a week, and I've been icing and wearing compression bandages. I am finally wearing a shoe and a heavy ankle brace, but still using the crutches while at work. At home, I've been breaking down and using a walking boot even though the ER doctor said to only use the crutches. But I've got to give my arms and shoulders a chance to recover before the next day of crutches at work.