Push ups

Options
2»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Try starting on your knees doing girly-ups. Then when you can get 20 of those with ease, graduate up to the real thing. No one is going to knock you for doing the girly ups. Even I do them when I can't hit that goal number. I just try harder next time to do less and less girlies and more and more of the real deal.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Start with incline(even on the wall) and work your way to the floor.

This also works for other things too, heh
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    These are awesome suggestions!!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I greatly increased the number of pushups I can do by increasing the amoutn of weight I can bench press.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    I greatly increased the number of pushups I can do by increasing the amoutn of weight I can bench press.

Working on that as well :)
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I like the wall and knee options.
    Also something that has helped me with doing regular push ups - a wider stance with my legs.
  • busymom11
    Options
    If you have stairs with room at the bottom, use them. Start at the 5th stair or so. Do sets at that stair until you feel strong enough to try the next stair. Keep progressing til your on the floor.
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Use a stability ball under your hips to do the push ups

Over time, place the stability ball under your thighs, then shins,

...then try the full military style push up.

The time sequence it will take depends are your overall strength, determination and dedication.

Good luck.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them. When I started p90x. I could do maybe 20 in an HOUR. When I finished I was well over 167!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For some people, it isn't chest or arm strength but the core strength that is lacking.

So TRY PLANKS! There are a lot of plank styles out there, but any one of them will strengthen your core and help you with the push-up.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    start doing incline push-ups - ie. with the same form you would if parallel to the ground, place your hands against the wall, keep your elbows in and lower your body towards the wall.

repeat.

over time you will find you can increase the angle so you are lower and lower down the wall, or off a table.

eventually you will reach ground level, and after that, raise your legs on something......

:)

This is the best way I've found. I used a bench at the gym. You can also do regular pushups but do them shallow so you don't go all the way down. Then just gradually increase how low you get. Sometimes even just holding at the top of what would be a pushup can help you develop those muscles too (similar to planks but different hand position).
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It was my goal for my 50th birthday because i had never ever in my entire life been able to do ONE. I did first the girly knee ones then the ones on an incline as someone else suggested. Finally I made it - do to 3 on my birthday. Now, 7 months later I am doing 4 sets of 7, and still making progress!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yup, practice.
    What i did, when i couldn't even do one proper push up was work up to 3 sets of 20 girly ones
    THEN I was able to do a few proper ones.
    Keep doing them to failure and always do 3 sets.
    THEN you will kick *kitten*!
    :drinker:
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my Samsung Android phone. You enter how many you can do, and how many you want to do. It then sets up a routine for you. For example, on day one I did 24 push ups (5 push ups, 60 second break two times, then 6 push ups and a 60 second break, and then four push ups with a 60 second break totalling 24).

Search for push up apps on your phone.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I also did wall then knee then full! You just have to do them until you can properly do them. I was pretty excited the first time I could do full push-ups for the 30DS! Doing a full push-up without having to be on my knees was one of my first fitness goals. :)

You can do eet!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Practice; Just by doing them and building upperbody and core strength. Use to struggle about a year ago doing a few and in a recent crossfit wo I did 50 in a row with no issue.