been a week no results

Options
Hello I started a week ago and I know some of you are like one week!!!! I been on the 1200 calorie diet daily and exercising like crazy, I read that I must be building muscle, and not eating enough calories, I decided to up my calorie intake some and see what happens, any ideas would be helpful thank you.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hang in there for at least 3 weeks, then adjust.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    don't make changes to your routine after 1 week. Give it at least a month before you go changing stuff.

If you have been on a calorie deficit, you lost weight. The scale might not show it for a number of reasons, but trust me - you did.

Do a little research, decide on a routine you think will work, and give it an honest chance before changing to something else.
  • wrdl1
    wrdl1 Posts: 16
    Options
    ok will keep giving the 1200 calorie thing a try for a few more weeks and then see. Thank you for your support!
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    You won't be building muscle, the hardwork involved there for women is massive! Can I ask what your water inake is like? When I have been off of the wagon and get back to it, the first thing I do is drink between 1.5 ltr-2ltr and it ialways kickstarts me with at least a pound loss. remember for every half hour of exercise to replace your water with 500ml...exercising like crazy will probably mean water retention too. Keep at it, sometimes it takes our bodies time to catch up. I'm sure if you are doing everything right you should see a loss soon. Might be a good idea to measure yourself with tape too as you may lose inches with exercise. Good luck.
  • wrdl1
    Options
    one more ? how many times should you be doing cardio a week, and then the rest of the week im guessing other things like mini crunches, stretching, ect?? anyone know ive never had to diet before in my life, but now that im older my metabolism sucks, I just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose 30lbs. Thanks again for your time :)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's only a week... sometimes I went a month and a half or two without a pound lost lol
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    patience young grasshopper
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    one more ? how many times should you be doing cardio a week, and then the rest of the week im guessing other things like mini crunches, stretching, ect?? anyone know ive never had to diet before in my life, but now that im older my metabolism sucks, I just had a baby 5 months ago and trying to lose 30lbs. Thanks again for your time :)

Good question....I am trying to find the same answer. I hope someone can help in this area!
    Good luck on your weight loss goals, I wish you all the best!
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Hello I started a week ago and I know some of you are like one week!!!! I been on the 1200 calorie diet daily and exercising like crazy, I read that I must be building muscle, and not eating enough calories, I decided to up my calorie intake some and see what happens, any ideas would be helpful thank you.

Give it at least a month. Depending on your height and current weight 1200 might be to low. How did you get 1200? You might have to play with the numbers a little to find your sweet spot for losing. Do you know about bmr and tdee? Also I just have to add that no you are not building muscle. It has only been a week and you are eating at a deficit so those telling you that you are building muscle are lying to you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you netting or grossing 1200 cals?

And yes, be more patient.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    don't make changes to your routine after 1 week. Give it at least a month before you go changing stuff.

If you have been on a calorie deficit, you lost weight. The scale might not show it for a number of reasons, but trust me - you did.

Do a little research, decide on a routine you think will work, and give it an honest chance before changing to something else.

I agree with this.

However, I understand that the FIRST week, is the week people would typically lose more weight, not less. So, I'd caution you on a few things: You may be underestimating what you're eating. Get a kitchen scale and WEIGH your food - measuring is terribly inaccurate. For example, a cereal I eat sometimes says that one serving is 3/4 of a cup or xx grams (I can't remember the number right now). I measured out 3/4 of a cup and then weighed it. And it was about 10% higher in weight (and I didn't load up the measuring cup). Peanut butter is a big one too. What I thought was 2 tablespoons, was really more like 4!

If you aren't eating back your exercise calories, you should be. Undereating won't cause weight gain, but it could affect your loss, and it WILL make you cranky and less likely to stick with it. Eat them back. All of them. Yum.

That brings up my final point. When you eat those exercise calories back, you have to be really careful how many you could for your exercise. Be very careful not to overcount. For cardio, the best way to do that (not perfect mind you, but the best way we have) is to get a heart rate monitor (like a Polar FT4) and use that for your cardio workouts. For some, MFP numbers underestimate (the less fit you are, and the heavier, the more likely this is) and for some MFP numbers overestimate (typically for the overweight vs obese, and the more fit people).

Hang in there, and good luck!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    one more ? how many times should you be doing cardio a week,

Good question....I am trying to find the same answer. I hope someone can help in this area!

There is no correct answer to this question.

You could lose weight doing cardio 5 times per week, you could lose weight never doing any cardio.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    *** NOTE: NO SARCASM IMPLIED IN ANY WAY ***

How long did it take you to put on the excess weight?

Be honest.

Now ask yourself two questions:

How long do you think it should take for you to shed that weight?

How prepared are you to make this a lifelong journey?
  • wrdl1
    Options
    for sure haven't been drinking enough water, when I do I drink the fruit 02 cause I cant just drink plain water need some flavoring to it, zero calories tho, so I guess I should really start drinking lots more oh yikes lol
  • wrdl1
    Options
    ive been doing cardio like everyday
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you can stand it, weigh yourself every two weeks, rather than weekly. Look at downward trends, not individual numbers.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    As a mom to a baby, you probably aren't sedentary. So make sure you have that set accurately if you are following MFP numbers. You may end up being able to eat more calories then you thought. I also agree about being patient :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont worry you will have to do this the rest of your life
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only lost 1 pound the first two weeks. (A rarity for someone obese like me)

So I started a detailed nutrition log and weight started flowing out of me. My doctor said that those who keep such food/nutrition are 75% more likely to be successful.

I hit a plateau and after reviewing my log, realized that I wasn't drinking nearly enough water. Upped that and weight loss continued.

This morning, I reviewed my nutrition log and see that I am too far below my minimum protein requirements. The water took so much hunger away that I was not eating enough. As protein builds muscle, and muscle burns more calories, this is a no-brainer because too little protein causes muscle loss). So I'll add in a protein shake or two. (I prefer chocolate truffle and strawberry mouse)

Water: weight in lbs * .75 = ounces per day (include all water, including coffee & water in protein shakes, etc.)
    Protein: weight in lbs * .37 = grams of protein per day

I don't remember the source for those formulas.