PCOS & Success

Options

Replies

• _jkr
    _jkr Posts: 24
    Options
    I have PCOS and currently just on pills. I am 22 years old and I do NOT want to take any medication and I plan on having kids in the future.

I have lost 15lbs so far and I have about 20 more to lose (I'll be re-evaluating then). The 15lbs I lost by dieting (no sugar, low carb intake) and biking sometimes. I'm planning to start running again on Monday to fast track this and to shape up (:

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago and my weight has fluctuated since then. PCOS came back a few months ago so I had to take control. As for symptoms, since trying to lose weight and taking pills (I'm currently only on my 2nd month of pills) most if not all of the symptoms are gone. My period is very regular (well, probably because of the pills) and I never have any cramps anymore (: I'm hoping to be off these pills by April or May as the pills that were recommended to me by my doctor is very expensive. It is also the only pills I have taken that doesn't make me feel nauseated.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have PCOS. I lost a bit of weight just doing low carb/paleo.

Met at 175 (my high weight was 10 lbs over this) and at 135 (taken 2 nights ago):

Wi9dd.jpg

You might have to zoom in on the picture
  • Dana_283
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I too have PCOS. I was diagnosed about 9 years ago. I have struggled with my weight since I was about 19. I began gaining weight very rapidly, about 75 lbs in a matter of 2 years. Unfortunately I am now almost 150 lbs over weight. I have tried taking Metformin several different time, but everytime is the same, it messes with my stomach so bad I have to stop.

I tried for 7 years to get pregnant to no avail, so my husband and I adopted. He is now 5 years old and the love of my life.

I have been on this diet roller coaster several different time for a number of years now, but this past September changed everything for me. My husband had to rush me to the hospital for extreme abdominal pains (so bad that if I stood up I would pass out and I had to crowl on my hands and knees to get out of my house.) Once there the doctor asked me could I be pregnant, my answer was NO! Well I was WRONG!!!!! I was pregnant, about 7-8 weeks as a matter of fact. Unfortunately it was in my tube and it had ruptured and I was bleeding out. My right tube was unsalvageable and removed, so my chances were already low and now my chances are even lower. I used to say it would be a miracle if I got pregnant, now it will be twice the miracle if it happens again. Sorry I tend to babble.

Well at the time of my miscarriage I was at my all time highest, 296lbs, well as of today, I am down 26.5 lbs and very proud of myself. My husband jumped on the roller coaster with me this time and so far he is down 11 lbs.

Please feel free to add me, we all can use all the support we can get.
    Hope everyone has a great day!!!
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, had it since 16 or 17. I recently really got dedicated to losing the weight, I went from 175 to 159 in about 3 months. I am finding it harder as I get smaller to lose the weight, it's stubborn, but with persistence, it will come off!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Je suis française aussi alors si vous voulez parler, je parle les deux langues.

Mon grammaire n'est pas fantastique.

J'ai aussi PCOS et je n'ai pas beaucoup de poids à perdre, mais, je vois déjà des resultats depuis que j'ai commencer, ça fait presque deux mois.

Vous pouvez m'ajouter come amie si vous voulez :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost weight. I'm on the birth control pill (started it again a couple of weeks ago - made me regain some weight) but nothing else prior to it while losing the weight.

I still eat quite a lot of carbs, I love them, but nothing compared to before.

The main thing is to just stick with it, exercise, be honest to yourself about what you eat and not to give up.
  • misstoridanielle
    misstoridanielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My gyno never diagnosed me officially with PCOS, but I have all the symptoms. Since June, I've lost 44 pounds. For me, it was getting active! I was never really active before but just for walking to class lol But it's different for every woman. I know my form of PCOS or whatever it actually is probably a lot smaller and less severe than others. I'm also on Yaz birth control and have never had problems with weight gain. I actually gained weight when I was off the pill due to horrible cravings.
  • Aprilwmitchell2010
    Options
    I've had PCOS for 11 years. When I was pregnant with my daughter (now 15 months old) I had a tumor on my left ovary and had to have it and my left ovary removed while I was pregnant. I had a really hard time losing weight after she was born, then last summer got down to the single digit sizes by cutting out all carbs and running/hiking 5 days a week. Then this past fall they found 2 little fibroids and to prevent them from turning to cancer the Dr put me on hormone replacements. I hated the side effects (gained weight, irritable, depressed, tired all the time), so I went off them a few weeks ago. Now having to really restrict my diet and exercising a LOT I am seeing the weight come off again. This week already down 4lbs.
  • irishgirl818
    Options
    Congrats for my PCOS sisters in here who have lost weight. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago, 6 months after my miscarriage. I have been struggling with my weight since...I dropped 20 lbs then put 17 back on... I am looking for a support system to help me stay motivated.
    Have any of you read The PCOS Diet Plan? I read it recently and want to implement some of the recommendations.
  • purplekitty13
    Options
    Interesting timing of this thread. I was diagnosed with PCOS yesterday. It does explain a lot of things, including why my weight loss has been rather slow. Thought it was age, but maybe it's more PCOS. I'm not interested in going on metformin (one person in the household on this med is enough) and would like to find more natural ways of dealing with this.

Fortunately, since there is a diabetic in the household, our diet has moved to improved protein-carb balance which includes less carbs overall and less refined sugar.

~pk
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but have never really had a weight problem. Doctors have told me that that makes me even harder to treat because losing weight won't help (I don't really need to). I don't have periods but maybe 1-2 times a year and tried to get pregnant for about 10 years without success.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in August 2012, I've lost just over 50lbs since then by controlling portion size and cutting back on bread (white specifically) and potatoes - which sucked in the beginning as I love both of those foods far more than choccy, sweets, cakes etc. I tend to walk a fair bit and use my exercise bike daily. It's not been too difficult at all so far and my PCOS symptoms are gone.
  • lucy529
    lucy529 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats sneakybat that is a great accomplishment i have only lost 20 some lbs and managed to start my periods again which is a huge thing for us with PCOS but I did do a cycle of clomid the month before so I wonder if that has anything to do with it either way am happy :) congrats again
  • peaches026
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs with the help of Metformin before I got pregnant with my daughter! She's now four months old and I'm back to trying to lose weight again. It isn't easy, PCOS is a tough disease but you CAN do it!
  • saraha123
    saraha123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I was diagnosed with pcos back in September last year, however I always had a feeling I had it just had never been officially diagnosed. I also started exercising regularly and started monitoring my intake. Within one month of starting I began to have a regular period. 3 months in a row was a huge deal for me as I had not had a consistent period ever in my life. since I started I've lost almost 60lbs, And still plan to keep on going. I have a wonderful husband who has been supportive the whole way thru. Lots of hard work and dedication has been the key for me so far, but it's been worth it.
  • TracyBarrett81
    TracyBarrett81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It took me years to realize that my metformin was what was making me tired ALL the time. The doctors act like Im crazy but when I stopped my energy came back

I took metformin for 8 months. I have never been so sick or tired. I had no weight loss. It was a happy day when my Dr. took me off of it.
  • siewekegirl
    siewekegirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am a PCOS gal. Initially diagnosed at age 22 (i never saw a gyno prior to that) and was placed on Glucophage. Was on it and off it for years. Never had regular cycles every. Got married - weight spiraled up and up - tried to have a baby for 5 years and went through about 30 rounds of meds, 5 IUIs, 1 miscarriage, removal of part of my left ovary and finally IVF to have my sweet boy. At my highest (prior to IVF) I was 300lbs. Lost 30 prior to IVF, gained 20 with pregnancy, lost 35 when he was born then put another 15 back on. Currently am down to what I weighed a year ago at 6 weeks post-partum which is the lightest that I have been in many many years. I do my best and lose my weight the best with lots of exercise, use of my Metformin, and watching my carbs fairly carefully. We are content with our sweet boy right now and I'm thinking that he may be our only child which is great for me either way. If anyone has any questions or concerns about PCOS, fertility, etc. please message me. I am an open book, especially in regards to infertility because we all need a support system......it can be lonely and isolating and if you've never been through it then you will never understand it (in my opinion anyways).
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, I haven't lost any yet as only just starting. Unfortunately where I live they do not prescribe Metformin, so I am hoping that diet and exercise will be enough.

It is a very interesting post, thanks for starting it.
  • katieinwaiting07
    Options
    i have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and am infertile. Im about 40 lbs overweight and in the military. Even though i eat healthy and work out regularly, i have ALWAYS been about 40 lbs over my ideal weight. I recently joined this to better track my eating.workout habits in hopes that i can stop being this way "just because its how ive always been and this is just how i am" and start being how i want to be. It seems that any time before that ive tried to lose weight it never works. I stopped taking the Met because it made me so sick but im still on the Synthroid. I dunno...we'll have to see if it works and if i can ever get pregnant or not. Especially in the military, everything is based on how you look. Even if you pass your pt test and workout regularly, if you dont look fit? People think youre lazy. Its hard...
  • mizzsami
    mizzsami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's nice knowing othr girls tricks in betting PCO. This is definitely a struggle dealing with having PCO. When I was first diagnose with PCO in 2009 I did not take it seriously. Last year my step daughter was looking through family photos and I saw a picture of myself and did not realize how big I had got. This is when I decided I needed to change my diet and become more active. I have been on MFP for almost a year and have lost about 70 lbs. I still have 35 pounds more to go before I reach my goal weight.

Diet and exercising is definitely the way to do it.

I am hoping to be pregnant by the end of the year. It's awesome to hear lots of girls got pregnant after dropping the weight.

I am down for having more friends as a support system. Exchanging exercise routines and recipes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!