When did DIET become a dirty word?

Options
I changed the way I eat over the weekend to jump start my weight loss. Yesterday a co-worker saw that I had packed a lunch and snacks and commented that I must be on a diet. I automatically defended my selections and told her... no I'm not on a diet, Just eating healthier. After she left I got to thinking about how quickly I defended my new food choices. I chuckle because I am doing Atkins but refuse to say I am actually doing an Atkins DIET. I call it High Protein/ Low Carb, Ketogenic eating, or eating like a bodybuilder but rarely ever do I attach DIET to those descriptions.

Anyone else have issues with the word DIET?

Replies

• dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    To me DIET means something you do short term. Maybe because anyone I know that has gone on a diet never sticks to it. So I prefer to look at my change in eating habits as a lifestyle change.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't like saying I'm on a diet because I don't want anyone to think I'm sucked in to some fad diet program. I just say I'm trying to eat better, which is the truth.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think those of us that are trying to change our lifestyles, how we view food, and our relationship with food don't like the word 'diet' because that is often associated with a short-term solution to the overall problem. Also, it's how others view the term 'diet' as well since many associate it with the short-term change rather than a permanent one. From starting MFP, I've never referred to it as a diet; however, I do tell people I've changed my diet to incorporate less processed foods, more veggies, etc.
  • TinaCleg
    Options
    I know I use the word diet a lot! I think it helps me remember healthy eating and counting my calories. I do know that people are a little critical when you say you are on a DIET :)
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    I think those of us that are trying to change our lifestyles, how we view food, and our relationship with food don't like the word 'diet' because that is often associated with a short-term solution to the overall problem. Also, it's how others view the term 'diet' as well since many associate it with the short-term change rather than a permanent one. From starting MFP, I've never referred to it as a diet; however, I do tell people I've changed my diet to incorporate less processed foods, more veggies, etc.

i could not have said it better. When people ask me whether i am dieting i say no because I know they will misunderstand what I am doing. I changed my eating habits permanently, as well as my view toward food. that is not a short term thing or a fad diet. people insist on pigeon holing what I do into an atkins diet or a south beach diet or something. I have no idea what the south beach diet is and know only what i hear in commercials about the atkins diet: eat all the fat and meat you want and lose weight blah blah blah. I am not on a diet. What I eat now is how I eat: forever.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    I know I use the word diet a lot! I think it helps me remember healthy eating and counting my calories. I do know that people are a little critical when you say you are on a DIET :)

diet does technically mean permannent overall eating habits but most people don't interpret it that way. they think its a 3 week program to lose 10 lbs.
  • dollyblueuk
    dollyblueuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I say i'm Healthy Eating not dieting if people ask and they look at me as if it say "Yeah what ever" but i'm one of these people that if i tell myself i'm on a diet i start to krave all the foods i'm trying to avoid, plus i am healthy eating and hoping to stay that way for life and hopefully not dieting for life lol
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Diet has negative connotations. It implies restrictions and being hungry all the time.

"I'm not on a diet because diets don't work. This is a lifestyle change. A healthy lifestyle is like music... we don't listen to a song for the purpose of getting to the end. I'm in this for the long haul."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't like saying I'm on a diet because I don't want anyone to think I'm sucked in to some fad diet program. I just say I'm trying to eat better, which is the truth.

^^^ This

Fad diets are what gave the word "diet" a bad name. Your diet is simply what you eat. Period.
  • IamNhappy
    IamNhappy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    To me DIET means something you do short term. Maybe because anyone I know that has gone on a diet never sticks to it. So I prefer to look at my change in eating habits as a lifestyle change.

^^^
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Many people do crash diets in an effort to loss weight fast and when you say diet, thats what it implies. I use the phrase "eating changes" because that's what it is. I have permanently changed what I eat. Diet really just means what you eat...I do wish more people would realize that. Everyone is on a diet technically.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Your diet is simply what you eat. Period.

Yup.